Mowing KK Finish Mower

/ KK Finish Mower #1  

Bart

The PTO shaft on my new KK finish mower is veryhard to turn by hand. The old Bush Hog finish mower I had used previously would turn very easily and the blades would spin.Curious if this could be causing the grinding sound

/ KK Finish Mower #2  
I'd be very weary of any grinding sounds from the gearbox!

/ KK Finish Mower
Sorry !!! The grinding noise is cominf from tractor PTO when I engage it

/ KK Finish Mower #4  
Hmmm. That dosen't sound good either! /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Different cutters will "act differently" but none should be really difficult to turn by hand. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ KK Finish Mower #5  
i had a kk finish mower before i got the befco, it turned by hand, difficult ,but it turned. i pulled it behind an old ford 2n and it never gave that any trouble, no grinding or such.do u have any other 3 pt. driven implements? and if so do they make the tractor give the same sound?

/ KK Finish Mower
Frank, Ionly have a 6ft HD Woods bushog for m my John Deere and that is at my farm 200 miles away.That PTO as far as I can remember also turns by hand not easy but it turns
Maybe I'll ask the dealer Ibought it from

/ KK Finish Mower #7  
Bart,

I have a 6' kk finish mower, and it is very hard to turn the pto shaft by hand. My 5' brush hog is fairly easy to turn. I believe the difference is due to the pullys and the tension of the belt. Since my NH 35D pto shaft does not freely turn, I am forced to turn the shaft on the implement when connecting to the tractor. As I said, this is a bit difficult with my mower, but since I operate the mower without the belt guard in place, I am able to turn the shaft by pulling on the belt, which rotates the shaft. It's a bit awkward to do while trying to hold the shaft collar to the tractor pto shaft, but it works. Hope this helps. Good luck.

/ KK Finish Mower #8  
I have a 5' KK finish mower I bought last year. I can't turn it by hand either. Have you checked the PTO shaft to see if it is the correct length?

/ KK Finish Mower #9  
My 6' KK finish is hard to turn too. Due to the pulleys and three blades. My 5' KK rotary is easy to turn. That's all normal.....but that grinding you are talking about I would have looked at!

/ KK Finish Mower #10  
I don't know about the "grinding" noise; that would probably concern me, but as for turning the driveshaft to the mower . . . I don't know about others, but I could turn the driveshaft easily by hand on my Bush Hog tiller and Howse rotary cutter, but NOT on the RDTH60 Bush Hog finish mower. When I wanted to turn it by hand (to grease the u-joints), I had to put a metal bar through a u-joint to turn it. I just attributed that (whether right or wrong) to the fact that it had one belt winding around the pulley on the output shaft of the gearbox AND three blade spindle pulleys. But when I engaged the PTO, the tractor never had any problem at all spinning it.