Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Hydrostatic Steering

I believed that was how some of the tractor steering worked. Some of our heavy equipment is that way.

Soundguy

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New BX2200 4-3-02 (traded 6-08) new B2620 06-08

My BX2200 explains the Steering as "Hydrostatic Type Power Steering" (kind of covers all the words being used in the discussion) and you can still turn the wheels with force.

But this discussion brings up a story about my gal on our old Simplicity (or as some call "simple city"). The nut holding the steering wheel kept working loose and although you could steer ok the steering wheel got pretty sloppy flopping around. Used locktight and everthing but just couldn't keep it tight. So, I drilled a horizontal hole through the steering wheel while it was tight against the shaft and put a small hardened bolt through and locked that baby down. Everything was cool until last fall when my gal was mowing down the side hill and the center nut popped off along with the threads and landed in her lap. I am not sure what the "pucker factor" was for her but I had to finish the mowing. Glad I put that horizontal bolt through there. She seems a little more relaxed with the new Bota but still won't mow the hill yet.

Tractor
    Kubota F2400

kubota F series all have hydraulic steering - there is no mechanical linkage. The reason being that there is an engine and transmission in the between the steering box and the steer wheels at the rear. I suspect that many other rear wheel steer machines are the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12