Not Fun....Digging a Grave

/ Not Fun....Digging a Grave #1  

Rebel

Silver Member
For the first time since I've owned my tractor I can honestly say I didn't enjoy operating it last night. Had to dig a grave to lay to rest my Black Lab in. Digging a grave just plain sucks, and is a real bummer! :(

Our dog Molly had to be put to sleep yesterday. She was 13 years old. Our concerns were raised yesterday due to a distended abdomen and she had not eaten breakfast that morning and was acting a little lethargic. We made an emergency trip to the Vet's office. X-rays indicated she had some gravel in her stomach but when the Vet opened her up she was chock full of tumors thought out her body, one of the tumors had ruptured and she was bleeding out badly into her stomach cavity. The Vet called me while she was knocked out and still on the table to inform me of her situation and gave her 1 day, 2 at the most to live. At that point I asked the Vet to put her to sleep (to which he concurred). I'm still agonizing over over that decision. :(

Heck I got to thinking and my dog Molly and I were together longer than my first marriage lasted.

Godspeed Molly, a best friend, loyal companion and family member. She will be forever missed. :(

/ Not Fun....Digging a Grave #2  
As I Should - Elizabeth Turner

I sob now, as I should,
As I hold you one last time.
Black fur against my face,
Breathless, a nose no longer wet.
The words I love you land on now deaf ears.
My pet.

I cry now, as I should,
As I put away your things.
The collar with your name,
The leash that brought such joy.
The dish, the quilt, and hardest still, an old stuffed bear.
Your toy.

I forget now, as I should,
On the first day, when I wake.
Stepping over the spot where you should be.
Empty space beside the bed.
This uncertain day must yet be faced.
My dread.

I ache now, as I should,
For the change in daily life.
Stillness yet unflinching, quiet so unkind.
The respites come but they are brief.
Until I hear a bark, or see another walk their dog.
New grief.

I smile now, as I should,
When I think of moments past.
The not quite perfect antics.
Stealing food, the wetness of a sloppy kiss.
Shredded tissue, messy beard, weight pressed against my leg.
I miss.

I think back now, as I should,
Through all the days we shared.
Loyalty in earnest, valor, beauty, grace.
The embodiment of what we humans should but don't hold dear.
And yet I feel you whisper, in the hardest moments still.
I'm Here.

/ Not Fun....Digging a Grave #3  
I'm sorry to hear that REBEL. That final trip to the vet is one that is hard to make. I did it 2 1/2 years ago and know I will probaly be doing it again in a year or two. They are great companions with unconditional love.

/ Not Fun....Digging a Grave #4  
God Bless Molly.

I can't imagine what it feels like to lose a great companion like that.

/ Not Fun....Digging a Grave #5  
A sad day indeed. I'm old enough to have buried 5 dogs. One a rottweiler died the same as your dog riddled with cancer on the operating table. I'm not ashamed to say tears flowed every time I buried one of these friends. After burying the last one 3 years ago I swore never to own another dog and now I have three. Two jack russell terriers and a mountain cur.

/ Not Fun....Digging a Grave #6  
I am so sorry, I know that pain all too well.Every time I have to put one of my friends down I think that I can't do this again. Then after a couple of days you realize that the emptiness of them not being around is far worse than the loss of a good friend.. I have always cremated my pets so I can still keep them with me. I have never in my life not had a dog & don't see myself ever without one. They are the greatest companions ever.

/ Not Fun....Digging a Grave #7  
You will never be able to forget a friend like Molly or replace her...but another dog will surely win your heart...surely.

/ Not Fun....Digging a Grave #8  
I feel for you Rebel.
We lost two dogs in a year about 2 years ago. I know the day will be here in a few years for our Lab/Golden mix too.
Thats the trouble with dogs, we outlast them.
I always think of the Rainbow Bridge when the day comes....man I hope it is true!

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown

/ Not Fun....Digging a Grave #9  
All is well now.

Attachments

• jenny.jpg
    jenny.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 1,246
   / Not Fun....Digging a Grave
Just want to say thanks to all for the kind words and support.

Its really strange not having her around, our other two dogs seem to be down, mourning the loss of Molly.