JD B as utility tractor

/ JD B as utility tractor #1  

Macandmall

Tractor
John Deere '41 B
I've owned this tractor since 1989. I gave it a new set of rings and a paint job in '92. 2 years ago I decided to do a total restoration, and add a rockshaft and powertrol from a donor tractor. I attached an aftermarket 3-point hitch to the rockshaft, it works great. I would like to add a live pump to someday. The engine was completly rebuilt. The splines on the crank were worn on the clutch side, so I had it rebuilt, and the main and rod journals turned. The rod and main bearings got new babbit. The block was bored .090, and fitted with aluminum pistons. The head got new valves, guides, and seats. I dynoed it a couple weeks ago and it made 25hp. I was hoping for closer to 30, but I still need to replace the carb with a newer one, and have the mag rebuilt. So why did I post this on here instead of an antique site? I restored this tractor to use as a utility tractor. Now that I have the 3point, I first bought a 7 ft rear blade to clear snow, man did it get a workout this past winter, we had over 100inches of snow. This spring I bought a rear finish mower. I wasn't sure if my hydraulics would lift a 650 lb mower, so I bought a used Befco c26 after reading the many reviews on this site. The B handles this mower without breaking a sweat!, and the overrun clutch on the powershaft makes it run smooth. All I had to do was add some weight to the front. Since I'm not going to put a loader on the B, I needed something to lift logs and other things too heavy to lift by hand. I ordered a handi hitch from redlandhill with a telescoping boom pole. I think it will lift about 600lbs max, the early hydraulics, and extra long lift arms limit the lift capacity. I also have a ferguson 3point cultivator that has worked great in the garden the summer. My utility tractor is not as easy to use as a new compact, but it gets the job done and turns some heads as people drive by and see me mowing with it.
Scott

Attachments

• DSCN3358.jpg
    DSCN3358.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCN3360.jpg
    DSCN3360.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 368
   / JD B as utility tractor #2  
Welcome to TBN Scott:D

That is a very nice "B" you have there;)

/ JD B as utility tractor #3  
That is a beautiful machine and brings back memories of many hours on an "A" and a"B" back in the 1950's, mostly pulling a wheel type rotary mower or five disc tiller. Nothing like turning it around at the end of a plowed field with one hand on the clutch and the other trying to twist that manual steering all day long to work up an appetite and keep you away from town at night.

Does yours have radiator shutters and compression releases?

/ JD B as utility tractor #4  
You got a gem, there Scott. Don't ever let that one slip through your fingers. Looking at them pichers, I could almost hear that 2-banger bark.

Always thought the B was a perfect size. Cut my teeth on an old JD H my Dad had and the neighbor's two JD A's. Thought that a hand clutch and a brake pedal on each side was the way all tractors should've been designed.

Do you pull on the flywheel to start it or do you have one of those new-fangled starter thingies? How do you drive that thing without a steering wheel spinner?
Bob

/ JD B as utility tractor
It is hand start only, roll the flywheel with compression releases open. I won't ever have to buy a battery! I haven't felt the need for a steering spinner, maybe I should try one. It does have the shutters in front of the radiator to act as a thermostat. I forgot to mention it weighs about 3500 with the weights, and doesn't mark the lawn unless it is wet.
Scott

/ JD B as utility tractor #6  
That is a sweet tractor. What year is it, I know it's earlier than 50 or 51..I have a 52 B I picked up a couple of years ago, it's a smoker but runs for now plus I have my Dad's 52 B that I'm going to use for parts. I hope to some day have one looking like yours. I have the original 3ph and a JD #9 sickle bar mower and I want to mow the fields with that set-up again some day.

/ JD B as utility tractor #7  
Oh man, that's beautiful. I'd love to see you mowing with it.

/ JD B as utility tractor #8  
I noticed that you did not have lights, and also wondered about starting. Hand starting in the winter in Georgia could be a challenge on the few days it dropped into the teens. How does yours do in those northern winters?

We would all love to see more pictures.

/ JD B as utility tractor #9  
Nice B.. mine is a 50, with electric start.. has the powertroll and rockshaft.. but no lift arms attached.

Ilike the tractor.. but the hand clutch prevents me from using it anymore than a yard decoration when it comes to regular work. ( i think if mine was flywheel start it'd limit me too! ).

Good luck on yours... It will likely outlast other new 25 hp tractors built today.

soundguy

/ JD B as utility tractor
It's a '41. It starts surprisingly well in the winter. As long as there is enough gas in the cylinders, it will pop. Lights would be nice when plowing snow in the dark, but I just put on my Nitelite helmet. Here are a few more pics. The 6' Befco mower was $650, I might have to paint it yellow. The cam was reground with a "mild puller grind", didn't want to go too wild for a mower, but I did put it in the antique pull at the local fair, got 4th place. Then the new aluminum pistons. They're supposed to be high compression, but they didn't seem to make it much harder to turn over. The new babbit in the rods turned out great. The first attachment I tried to lift was my Dad's Frontier box scraper, no problem, it pulls it easily too. Here's a link to a youtube video of the pull.
YouTube - John Deere B tractor pull
Thanks for all the compliments,
Scott

Attachments

• DSCN3366.jpg
    DSCN3366.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCN2301.jpg
    DSCN2301.jpg
    903.8 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN2314.jpg
    DSCN2314.jpg