Sizing a brush hog.

/ Sizing a brush hog. #1  

pal21

I have a Ford 1715 4 wheel drive, with a loader. I'm looking at a few second hand brush hogs for sale, but I'm not sure if I should go with a 4' or 5'.

The book specs 23 hp. at the pto. It has the 3x9 trans. I have the tires turned out and that measures 60" out to out.

I want to be able to mow some grown over areas as well as maintain clean fields.

/ Sizing a brush hog. #2  
I'd go 5'.. you are at the same hp level of a 9n/2n.. and we mow with 5' hogs on them..

You can always go slow thru the thick stuff.. or take 4' bites if needed.

soundguy

/ Sizing a brush hog. #3  
The usual thinking is 1 foot for every 5 hp at the PTO, so you would probably do fine with a 5 foot rotary mower. - Mike

/ Sizing a brush hog. #4  
I agree with the rest on the 5' rotary cutter as long as it is a standard duty cutter. I have 3... 2 older standard duty, and one new meduim duty. We have a 25 pto hp tractor that has issues with the medium duty cutter. You can slow down and it will make it, but its not fun. The 25 hp tractor has zero issue with the older standard duty cutters. there is probably 400 pounds (or more) difference between the standard and medium duty cutters.

Our 4' cutter is nice for tight places, mostly since it is real tight to the back of the tractor, but I would never want to cut a field with it.... you end up with 3.5 feet cut since you overlap a little.....

/ Sizing a brush hog. #5  
I would have to say go with the 5 footer so you can cover the width of your rear tires with the cutting width if nothing else. The amount of horsepower required depends a great deal on what you're planning on cutting and less on the width or build of the cutter. The other thing to consider is if you are planning on getting a lift type cutter be sure that your 3-pt hitch can lift it and that you have adequate front-end ballast. That would be the main thing I would look at in considering the build of the cutter (light-, standard-, or medium-duty) and not necessarily your horsepower.

/ Sizing a brush hog. #6  
Do you plan on trailering?
What can you get on your trailer?

/ Sizing a brush hog.
Thanks to all for the help.

I did notice when looking at new cutters some weighed 800# and some were 500#. Must be the differance between light and medium duty.

I do plan on trailering. I have a utility trailer with a 14' bed. I better do some measureing before going any further.

/ Sizing a brush hog. #8  
i pull a 5'er with a 1710. it bogs down when i hit a ground hog or a big snake (neither on purpose). otherwise no problem. since i overlap a bit i never actually am cutting the full 60".