Bushhog storage

/ Bushhog storage #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I have a 72" woods brushbull that has been in my storage building since last summer. Haven't had to use it as much as I thought. It takes up a lot of space and I was planning to move it outside. Thought I'd stack up pallets 2 high and cover with tarps. What should I apply to deck and shafts before storage to help prevent rust. Deck looks like new now.

/ Bushhog storage #2  
Mine lives outside all the time. No tarp. Just a 4x4 under the leading edge to keep it up off the dirt. I think that bushhogs look better a little rusty, don't you?

- Jay

/ Bushhog storage
You don't worry about seizing up??

/ Bushhog storage #4  
Do like I do if you have a FEL and a friend, just hook a chain to the tail wheel and stand it up against the wall of your building. It only takes up a foot of space then. I stand mine on the leading edge of the bush hog but you could also put it on one side. Be careful moving it and watch your friends feet and fingers, he will be needed to guide it as you lift it and drive the tractor forward. Once in place use a ratchet strap or something similar to secure it to the wall to prevent it falling over.

I do this with my post hole digger and other implements also.

Chris

/ Bushhog storage
Good idea. My building is steel quanset hut style, so no studs or rafters to attach it to, unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion.

/ Bushhog storage #6  
That's an interesting idea, leaning the bushog against a wall. Now to build a building to lean against... We have a 5' and a 6', and I just block them well off the ground when not in use. For over the Winter, I tie a plastic trash bag over the gearboxes. I often spray them down with WD-40 (from the gallon jug) after I clean them up.

/ Bushhog storage #7  
Mine stays outside covered with a tarp. No problems with it's operation after staying covered all winter

/ Bushhog storage #8  
flINTLOCK said:
You don't worry about seizing up??

What's to seize? PTO shaft is thoroughly greased, slip clutch has a sheetmetal cover (plus it gets its springtime maintenance spin), gearbox is sealed, blade pivots get a good dousing of oil through the access hole on top of the deck, tailwheel is thoroughly greased.

- Jay

/ Bushhog storage #9  
Mine stay outside as well, unless it's hooked onto the tractor. I follow the above procedure of grease the shaft, grease the wheel, oil the pivots, grease the u-joints, etc. etc. Occasionally after a full winter or not using it, the PTO shaft has been sticky, but I pull it out, re-grease, and go again.

Now, if I had the space, I would keep it indoors. I'm a big believer of equipment kept indoors stays in better shape. It's just a matter of not having the space (or the money to build the space).

/ Bushhog storage #10  
flINTLOCK said:
I have a 72" woods brushbull that has been in my storage building since last summer. Haven't had to use it as much as I thought. It takes up a lot of space and I was planning to move it outside. Thought I'd stack up pallets 2 high and cover with tarps. What should I apply to deck and shafts before storage to help prevent rust. Deck looks like new now.

My 5', 10', and 15' all live outside.. no tarp.. just bricks or blocks holding the front off the ground.

Surface rust on the blades gets polished off on 1st use.

If it is going to se more than a season, I 100% fil the gearbox with oil, and then drainoff to proper level before 1st use.

I try to keep the paint on the decks fresh every 5ys or so.. cuts down on rust/rust-thru

soundguy