Help from Road Builders

/ Help from Road Builders #11  
Geotex under the road? Or on the slopes? I use geotex under rip-rap from time to time. It works great for muddy areas of road, as well. I suspect you don't need it. Erosion mulch on the edges will do what you need.

/ Help from Road Builders #12  
google water bars and or dirt roads

I've put water bars in our road to my cabin and they work! added benefit
they act as speed bumps.

tommu

/ Help from Road Builders
Thanks everyone for the inputs. I'm familiar with water bars. If it starts to erode on me, then I'll go that route.

For now, I've decided to crown the top down to where it exits cuting through the bank, and then left slope from there. At the end of the crown on the right I've cut a drainage way over the side for the water to run. Plenty of trees, shrubs, rocks, grasses etc over there to prevent erosion. It's a fairly short run anyway of only about 30'. There will be a little hump there on the side where it changes from crowned to left sloping that will serve to direct the water over the right side rather than straight down the drive. I'll take some more photos once I get it graded out.

At the bottom, after the turn, there is a flat spot that seems to stay wet. I think I'll use geotex across this flat area only. Was a little concerned it might slide down the hill anyway.

I still think I need about 40 more tons or so of fill at the bottom in the turn. So, I'm still looking for fill. Guy brought me a small 4 ton load today. Nice dirt too, just not enough. Since I won't be stoning it until spring, I've got time anyway.

/ Help from Road Builders #14  
Keep water diverted off of it.. keep water from pooling on it.. keep water from pooling around the bed as much as possible.

soundguy

/ Help from Road Builders #15  
watch for subsoil water too, to expand on the above.

Basically, water is the roads enemy.

I don't think you'd regret geotextiles, but need is soil dependent.

As recommended on here you might want to buy a copy of "the Road Repair Handbook" off amazon.

/ Help from Road Builders #16  
Hi Gittyup, it sounds like you have settled on a solution that suits you.

However, for those who might come across this thread in the future, I suggest checking out the fact sheets available from the Portland, Maine water district. Portland Water District - Publications Skip down to the Conservation Fact Sheet Series.

They have good and reasonably detailed information about erosion control for home owners for roadways, paths, and walkways to include information on waterbars, open top culverts , Rubber Razor Blades.

/ Help from Road Builders #17  
VAChesterfield said:
Hi Gittyup, it sounds like you have settled on a solution that suits you.

However, for those who might come across this thread in the future, I suggest checking out the fact sheets available from the Portland, Maine water district. Portland Water District - Publications Skip down to the Conservation Fact Sheet Series.

They have good and reasonably detailed information about erosion control for home owners for roadways, paths, and walkways to include information on waterbars, open top culverts , Rubber Razor Blades.

VACHESTERFIELD, lol, I had to chuckle when I saw your link. I do a lot of erosion control projects for The Portland Water District. Here's a link to my web page with some pics of some work I did at their at their Ecology Center.

Shoreland Preservation / Repair

And a pic.

Attachments

• Portland Water District May 2 & 3 2007 014rew.jpg
    Portland Water District May 2 & 3 2007 014rew.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 106
   / Help from Road Builders
Thanks everybody! Nice work there atgreene. You're obviously a professional, which I am not.

/ Help from Road Builders #19  
Gittyup said:
Thanks everybody! Nice work there atgreene. You're obviously a professional, which I am not.

Nope, just willing to listen, learn and try new stuff.