Clutch problem? Need help

/ Clutch problem? Need help #1  

Squeak n Itch

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT-F
Whatever gear, when I depress the clutch I hear a brief moderate level clank sound. Is this a terminally bad sine for a four old Kubota L3130 or is it just a sign of 650 Hours? Is it possibly just the brakes?

/ Clutch problem? Need help #2  
Squeak n Itch said:
Whatever gear, when I depress the clutch I hear a brief moderate level clank sound. Is this a terminally bad sine for a four old Kubota L3130 or is it just a sign of 650 Hours? Is it possibly just the brakes?

Hmm. Does the clank sign go away when you fully press the clutch pedal down? does the clank go away as soon as you let go of the clutch pedal? and is it more difficult to shift gear ?
4 yr old L3130 @ 650 hrs is not broken in yet !!!
With the limited info, I'm guessing you might have one or more finger of the pressure plate broken or damaged. There is possibility of clutch release bearing is about to seize. What do you mean by the brakes? what is the relation ship of clutching to shift gear and brakes?:confused:

JC,

/ Clutch problem? Need help
JC-jetro said:
Hmm. Does the clank sign go away when you fully press the clutch pedal down? does the clank go away as soon as you let go of the clutch pedal? and is it more difficult to shift gear ?
With the limited info, I'm guessing you might have one or more finger of the pressure plate broken or damaged. There is possibility of clutch release bearing is about to seize. What do you mean by the brakes? what is the relation ship of clutching to shift gear and brakes?:confused:

JC,
Sorry about the lack of information. It seems that the sound happens just as, and only when, the clutch plate is released. It is a single event. The brake thought was that loose brake shoe would seem to make a similar sound. No difference seems apparent in the operation of the tractor. Shifting and transmission work as before. Also, the sound seems to be coming from the front end of the tractor even when in two-wheel drive. I am new to tractors and further questions are welcomed.

/ Clutch problem? Need help #4  
JC-jetro said:

JC,
Just replaced the throw out bearing in My L3600 GST Had simular noise before the clutch quit. On mine found the grease on tube holding the bearing and yoke in alignment had gotten muddy from dirt and water and rust, then on depressing the clutch it twisted away from fingers on yoke to lost clutch action. The seperating of engine and transmission is not difficult if some past experance. follow suggested info from repair book. Some say not to use clutch just the shift control. this allowed the crud to build on mine.
Wish you the best. ken

/ Clutch problem? Need help #5  
Squeak n Itch said:
Sorry about the lack of information. It seems that the sound happens just as, and only when, the clutch plate is released. It is a single event. The brake thought was that loose brake shoe would seem to make a similar sound. No difference seems apparent in the operation of the tractor. Shifting and transmission work as before. Also, the sound seems to be coming from the front end of the tractor even when in two-wheel drive. I am new to tractors and further questions are welcomed.

I'm reaching here squeak.... have you attempted any clutch adjustment. I'd make sure I mark it's position by a dab of paint or something. The thing is 650hrs is such so low hrs but if one used to ride his clutch all the time and the distance between the pressure plate fingers and the release bearing happened to have been adjusted very close can provide for early clutch damage. Clutch change requires split and it is a rather involved job in regard to labor. it is certainly advisable to change the pressure plate, clutch disk and throwout bearing .. in other word total replacement. What I'm trying to say it you can't hurt it anymore and can not cause damage to anything else beyond the clutch, so I'd try to adjust, if successful so much the better, if not I just run it till it fails and do a clutch replacement.

JC<

/ Clutch problem? Need help #6  
What trans? GST, HST or Gear?

Does it make the sound with the engine off?

Neutral?

Moving?

On the face of it, it does sound like a broken release finger. But, I've helped a buddy with a "bad clutch" only to find that he had a broken brake part and pressing the clutch released the bind and it made a similar noise. Had to jack up the tractor to find it, but it saved him from doing a split.

Gear transmission.
Noise when clutch depressed:
Engine off - no
Neutral, engine running - no
Coasting downhill, engine off - no

Also seems present (BTW this is a relatively subtle noise) after warmup.

Lastly, being a newbie to a new tractor I may simply be overreacting. It appears to me that most are suggesting to continue and let it either get louder or go away. This approach has served me well in other engine/trans issues.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks to you fine folks for your help.

/ Clutch problem? Need help #8  
Squeak n Itch said:
Gear transmission.
Noise when clutch depressed:
Engine off - no
Neutral, engine running - no
Coasting downhill, engine off - no:eek:

Squeak,

It seems to me more likelihood of minor clutch release fork adjustment. I'd give it a try, should not require much to do it. By the way, I know Diesel is getting pretty high but I'd be careful Coasting down hill with no engine, with a tractor that has no real suspension system, They can pick up a lot of momentum very quickly. I might let go of the gas going downhill and have high transmission gear to govern my speed going downhill while the engine is on.

JC,:)

JC-jetro said:
Squeak,

They can pick up a lot of momentum very quickly. I might let go of the gas going downhill and have high transmission gear to govern my speed going downhill while the engine is on.

JC,:)
Just did this for the test. Not a normal practice. However my wife tried it early on in our tractor days with a Ferguson TE20 and got the scare of her life!! But that story is for a different thread.

Thank you for the input. Will try the clutch adj.