Insurance Tractor Insurance

/ Tractor Insurance #1  

wkpoor

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 5400, Farmall H, Farmall Cub, Allis Chalmers CA
Been trying to get info from State farm about insuring my tractor for use off the property. Not commercial just for personal use. They told me its covered under the home owners only at home. If I put it on the trailer and leave the driveway its not. Now I can put a policy on it by itself like on the cars for 250.00 a year. I might use it 12x's a year off my property. My biggest issue is if it departs the trailer in transit and hits another vehicle. I'll bet most don't have coverage on either the tractor or the trailer. I do have policies on the trailers. Most of the time what I'm towing behind the truck is much more valuable than the truck like about 3x's more. Seems to make sense to insure it like I do the vehicle.
What do most people do?

/ Tractor Insurance #2  
I hope the experts correct me if I'm wrong, but your auto policy covers your liability if the trailer departs the tow vehicle and if anything on the trailer departs. That's liability for damage done by the departure to some one else's person or property. So if you roll your truck while towing a trailer holding your tractor and the tractor comes off and hits a bus load of orphans and nuns going to church camp, your liability is covered to the limits of your policy.

The value of the trailer and / or anything that departs during a tow is NOT covered by the normal auto policy. You would need an "Inland Marine" policy to cover the value of the trailer and tractor if it is damaged in an accident.

My stuff is paid for, so I don't cover its value. It does make me more mindful of consequences.

/ Tractor Insurance
I hope the experts correct me if I'm wrong, but your auto policy covers your liability if the trailer departs the tow vehicle and if anything on the trailer departs. That's liability for damage done by the departure to some one else's person or property. So if you roll your truck while towing a trailer holding your tractor and the tractor comes off and hits a bus load of orphans and nuns going to church camp, your liability is covered to the limits of your policy.

The value of the trailer and / or anything that departs during a tow is NOT covered by the normal auto policy. You would need an "Inland Marine" policy to cover the value of the trailer and tractor if it is damaged in an accident.

My stuff is paid for, so I don't cover its value. It does make me more mindful of consequences.
My stuff is all paid for too. I have policies on the trailers because State Farm put a $1000.00 limit on trailer coverage under my homeowners. My 2 trailers the dump and the deckover both bought within a year of each other were $12,000. Made sense to insure them in case the accident is my fault.
You have actually answered the $50,000 question in that whatever is riding on the trailer whether its covered or not, has liability protection for the other guy. What I wonder is if I'm involved in an accident and hopefully its the other guys fault, will they pick up the tab on the whole rig that could potentionally be 3x's greater than just the tow vehicle. I've already been there a couple of times where the other guy's insurance doesn't want to anny up on the deal and my insurance has to step in. That only works with full coverage.
Man I hate insurance!!! More angles than a protractor and none of them add up.

/ Tractor Insurance #4  
i called my auto insurance provider about 6 years ago and asked them about being covered if i pulled a trailer....

they told me as long as it was attached to the truck with covereage, it would be covered.......that backed that up by adding, if the contents of the trailer came off and did damage to something, then it wouldn't be covered.......

so strap her down REAL good was the lesson i took from that.......

i've been with geico for a while now, i've never asked them......probably should

/ Tractor Insurance #5  
Flatheadyoungin said:
i called my auto insurance provider about 6 years ago and asked them about being covered if i pulled a trailer....

they told me as long as it was attached to the truck with covereage, it would be covered.......that backed that up by adding, if the contents of the trailer came off and did damage to something, then it wouldn't be covered.......

so strap her down REAL good was the lesson i took from that.......

i've been with geico for a while now, i've never asked them......probably should

That doesn't make sense that if something comes off... it's not covered.

Does that mean if I have a tire blow out and the treads hit a pedestrian I'm not covered? If I'm towing a camper and a bike or cooler or water jug comes off I'm not covered? I rather think that wouldn't hold up.

But, I ain't no expert and what makes sense isn't what the law protects. Only what makes "Cents", if you get my drift...

/ Tractor Insurance #6  
yeah, i thought it was crazy too......it was our local grange dealer......i was with them for years until geico beat the pants off of them......but i've never had a claim with any of them to see how they perform...

john_bud said:
That doesn't make sense that if something comes off... it's not covered.

Does that mean if I have a tire blow out and the treads hit a pedestrian I'm not covered? If I'm towing a camper and a bike or cooler or water jug comes off I'm not covered? I rather think that wouldn't hold up.

But, I ain't no expert and what makes sense isn't what the law protects. Only what makes "Cents", if you get my drift...

/ Tractor Insurance #7  
I've got Geico homeowners insurance. The way I worded it to them was that I sometimes use the tractor at my primary residence but generally kept it stored off premise on my ranch property. They accepted that so I am able to insure my tractor at the ranch. My auto insurance covers it when I'm moving it between.

Good luck.

/ Tractor Insurance #8  
john_bud said:
and hits a bus load of orphans and nuns going to church camp,

Man don't start!! :D How about a bus load of illegals, bus load of murderers heading to the dead chamber, or a bus load of mother in laws!! :D

Still just as tragic right!!!??!! :D :D

/ Tractor Insurance #9  
My tractor is on the same commercial auto policy as my truck, for an extra $140 per year. It has liability whether it's on a trailer or running down the road. Everything is paid for but I couldn't replace it; so I also have comprehensive and collision on the tractor and implements.
I don't have a trailer so I asked my agent if I was covered if someone else was hauling it, and she said I was.

/ Tractor Insurance #10  
Whatever your agent or telephone represetative tells you...Tell them to put it in writing and mail it to you...If you receive nothing...then you'll know what's really covered...:D