Backhoe How to use backhoe; or being lazy.

/ How to use backhoe; or being lazy. #1  

raykos

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2305
Hi all,

I'm realatively new to "tractoring". Last year I bought a JD2305 with a FEL, MMM and a backhoe that has an 8" bucket. I've used the backhoe for pulling up rocks and then digging holes to bury the rocks! I've also used it to dig/transplant trees, and to dig foundation trenches for a retaining wall. And soon, I'm going to be using it to dig a trench to put in 75' of drainage pipe.

Now, maybe I really don't know how to use the backhoe properly, or I'm just being lazy, but when I dig trenches I still have to use a shovel to clean out the bottom of the trench; it's just not as clean and flat as I would like it to be, because of the teeth.

The teeth are bolted on and, I guess, can be removed. OK, now I'm wondering, should I unbolt the teeth and try to use the flat edge of the bucket to dig the trench; remembering my ground is hard & rocky? Will I be getting myself into more trouble by unbolting & bolting the teeth? Will it be detremental to the backhoe/bucket to use the bucket without teeth? Is there some kind of flat plate attachment that can be put on to cover the teeth? Or, am I just not using the bucket correctly?

Any help appreciated,:)

Thanks,
Ray

/ How to use backhoe; or being lazy. #2  
raykos said:
Will it be detremental to the backhoe/bucket to use the bucket without teeth? Is there some kind of flat plate attachment that can be put on to cover the teeth? Or, am I just not using the bucket correctly?
In fear of bugering up the edge of your bucket, I'd leave the teeth on.

I suppose one could fab a clip to cover the tips of the teeth.

Or curl the bucket and use the underside of it to smooth the ditch bottom.

/ How to use backhoe; or being lazy. #3  
A piece of plate steel can be cut to size and laid over the teeth. You can then run bolts through the plate, to a piece of angle, or other steel piece running parallel on the back side of the teeth, as one example.

/ How to use backhoe; or being lazy. #4  
Kinda depends how "clean and flat" the bottom really needs to be vs just looking neat.
It is only a TRENCH in DIRT.
Most things that you lay down (pipe, cable, etc) will not be affected by smooth, level, neat (or lack of).
Even something relatively rigid and fragile will have dirt sift under the low spots when you fill in again, so a few air spots underneath it won't matter THAT MUCH.
BTW, how do you get down into an 8 inch trench to smooth things out anyway ?
I wouldn't be able to, or are you digging it wide with a skinny bucket ?

/ How to use backhoe; or being lazy. #5  
I'm not too familar with your setup but... can't you dig down to your depth, then point the teeth more horizontal so they're not digging in and allow more of the front edge to cut/dig?

That's how I try to get a flat bottom (relatively flat)

/ How to use backhoe; or being lazy. #6  
Richard said:
I'm not too familar with your setup but... can't you dig down to your depth, then point the teeth more horizontal so they're not digging in and allow more of the front edge to cut/dig?

That's how I try to get a flat bottom (relatively flat)

I also do it this way. Got to tell you though, the teeth on the number 46 hoe are a lot longer than my number 7 hoe had and leaves more loose dirt. The number 7 hoe (bucket) had a least on more tooth maybe two more, don't remember.

/ How to use backhoe; or being lazy. #8  
For drainage pipe, I would leave it "as is". A little bit of soft material under the pipe will actually help.

If it is a footing, you want hard compact and smooth. Flood the trench with water and wait until it dries out. The mud will dry to a nice, smooth compact layer.

/ How to use backhoe; or being lazy. #9  
ive watched alot of trenches being dug when i drove a ten wheeler, most of the operators dig by taking off layers at a time. digging in with the teeth very little, if in real soft dirt they would take bigger bites. to smooth out the bottom, they curl the bucket so when they bring the bucket in the teeth dont hit. the bottom of the bucket smoothes it out real nice...jon

/ How to use backhoe; or being lazy. #10  
CurlyDave said:
For drainage pipe, I would leave it "as is". A little bit of soft material under the pipe will actually help.

If it is a footing, you want hard compact and smooth. Flood the trench with water and wait until it dries out. The mud will dry to a nice, smooth compact layer.

I'm not sure a building inspector will be agreeable with this method. it's supposed to be undisturbed earth under footings in our area.