crossing soft ground; portable roadway?

/ crossing soft ground; portable roadway? #1  

chris.miller

I need to cross some soft ground, preferably with minimal impact. Several ways to the project site; one across a salt marsh (250'), another across tidal flats (1/2 mile), but with the potential for soft spots (hidden peat layers) and a coastal bank or marsh crossing.

I've seen some surplus ads for portable runway tracks about 2' wide by 12' long, steel, looks like steel roofing. Seems like there are some plastic and fiberglass versions as well. I've also thought of buying 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood... or trying some long planks with strips of plywood on top. Plywood might distribute the weight best and minimize damage the most...

Machine is a Kubota Grand L3240 with FEL and rear brush cutting deck. Weight? I'd guess under 5k pounds?
Will be doing this project twice a year, so I'm hoping to find a real solution.

Salt marsh crossing seems the easiest/most straight forward, as long as I don't do any real damage to the marsh in the two crossings (there then back 2 days later).

Chris

/ crossing soft ground; portable roadway? #2  
neither will be cheap, unless you have some helpers.

Get 4 sheets of 3/4 plywood.. rip them in half( long ways.. that way you have (2) 2' x 8' strips .. sandwhich 2 layers together making a 2' x 8' plank... construction glue, like liquid nails would work.. with 4 sheets, you should have 4 planks. you will be setting on a set, and can then drive onto a set, then a helper could drag the other sets up.. and so forth..

at 250' you will need to move them up a total of 30 times.. to cross. i suggest a teenager with lots of energy help you!

soundguy

/ crossing soft ground; portable roadway? #3  
Landscapers have rubber mats that they lay out when not wanting to disturb the turf. You often are okay one time across a wet area before you break the root base enough to sink in too far!

/ crossing soft ground; portable roadway? #5  
I need to cross some soft ground, preferably with minimal impact. Several ways to the project site; one across a salt marsh (250'), another across tidal flats (1/2 mile), but with the potential for soft spots (hidden peat layers) and a coastal bank or marsh crossing.

I've seen some surplus ads for portable runway tracks about 2' wide by 12' long, steel, looks like steel roofing. Seems like there are some plastic and fiberglass versions as well. I've also thought of buying 5 sheets of 3/4" plywood... or trying some long planks with strips of plywood on top. Plywood might distribute the weight best and minimize damage the most...

Machine is a Kubota Grand L3240 with FEL and rear brush cutting deck. Weight? I'd guess under 5k pounds?
Will be doing this project twice a year, so I'm hoping to find a real solution.

Salt marsh crossing seems the easiest/most straight forward, as long as I don't do any real damage to the marsh in the two crossings (there then back 2 days later).

Chris
I work for the local power company as a electric lineman.We use the fiberglass mats with good results.coobie

/ crossing soft ground; portable roadway? #6  
the military runway sections are SUPER heavy duity and weigh a metric buttload!

they had about 4 of them they used when they set my single wide on my property.

one guy could drag one, but not lift it.

/ crossing soft ground; portable roadway? #7  
I like Soundguy's idea except that I would go for an extra two sheets of 3/4' ply so that you have six planks. Also would drill holes on both sides and install some rope in the ends -lot easier dragging the plank by the rope -Ed

/ crossing soft ground; portable roadway? #8  
great idea on the rope!

soundguy

/ crossing soft ground; portable roadway? #9  
Depending on how soft the ground is, the more surface area that you have, the better your chances of not sinking into it.

Instead of 3/4 inch plywood, I'd buy six or 8 sheets of 1 1/4 inch plywood with the hope that you can be on four of them at a time. Then it's just grunt work to get the next set of sheets lined up for moving forward.

Eddie

/ crossing soft ground; portable roadway? #10  
I'd hate to see the cost of 8x 1.25" plywood!

soundguy