New buyer, looking for advice

/ New buyer, looking for advice #51  
I just joined tractorbynet so sorry if i am doing this wrong but i am getting ready to buy a bx 25 and wonder if anyone knows the towing capabilities of the bx 25. one of the things I will be doing is pullling a 1' trailer with 10-15 kids on it at halloween so i want to make sure it is pretty safe to tow. i would estimate the trailer weighs 1800 lbs and 15 kids at 80lbs each would put me at 3000 lbs. Any advice.
A 1' trailer is pretty small. Do you stack the kids 15 high?
Read the threads about what to pull and how in the safety forum.
A PROPERLY adjusted trailer would have a tongue weight of about 300 to 450 lbs, but be careful with kids moving around.
Also the whole thread about operational tips for newbies.

/ New buyer, looking for advice #52  
Thanks! I ment a 16' trailer. Just noticed i left the 6 out. I kind of thought that you figure about 10% of total weight as tongue weight so it would be 450 to 500 lbs like you said. The 3 pt hitch is rated to lift 670lbs so if I use it to tow it should hold it and no doubt pull it I just need to be careful stopping it. It is all level ground with no hills.

/ New buyer, looking for advice #53  
Just check your owner's manual and it should give you a max weight to haul incl the trailer and it's contents

/ New buyer, looking for advice #54  
Gronk,

Maybe you've got all your q's answered, I really don't want to read 6 pages of posting to find out, but FWIW, I would not buy the backhoe for 5 acres and apparently one-time need to build a moto-cross track. Rent something if necessary and see if you get by with just the Fel for that work. You'll have plenty of things to spend that money on, including other implements and maybe a slightly larger tractor that will meet your needs longer.

I also would recommend keeping your current mower and reserve the tractor for brush hogging, and other heavier work. Good luck and enjoy.

/ New buyer, looking for advice
Just thought I would give an update.

First of all thanks to all for the helpful info. Without it I would have ended up buying something that did not fit my needs.:confused:

Ok speaking of needs, I think I may have just been a little too anxious in getting a tractor when I first moved into the new house. The need was more "want" and I realized this with hardly a day to spare. :rolleyes: Somehow, I had gone from leaning towards a BX to having negotiated a deal on a new Jinma 284 with FEL and BH. I opted out of either until I had some time to actually see what I would need for this yard, which was a good thing, because I didn't need a tractor this past summer.:eek:

A local motocross park caught my attention and at 39 years old I decided to try motocross for the first time. I got hooked! :p Both my wife and I have "enduro" bikes that are plated for the street but that we ride mostly off-road, now we also have MX bikes just for the track. The boys also love doing it so that is where we spent much of our free time, especially since the park is a mere 3 kms from our home. All that to say that there wasn't really any need to do anything with the yard that required a tractor. That is, until the park closed for the season, and I wanted to build an MX track for the boys that was suited to them. (mini track at the park is really for beginners and has no real jumps while the adult tracks have huge jumps and deep sand not suited to small wheels)

So we laid out the track mostly following existing trails that the kids made while play riding and decided to build it. Now there was a definite need for a tractor. One of my riding buddies built himself a towable backhoe and that was a huge help but I still needed a loader for moving dirt so I bought what I consider my "starter" tractor.:D

I drove twelve hours with my oldest son to get this 1980 Ford 1100 4x4.

100_1471Large.jpg

It had a few issues like a broken water pump and some leaking cylinders but everything worked and it looked to be in good overall condition so I brought it home. I replaced the water pump and tightened all the FEL mounting bolts and have been moving dirt and making jumps with it for a week now. :)

I'm pretty happy with it. It is a bit smaller than my friend's Ford 1220 but that is a good thing right now. As it is there are still some places I cannot fit in without cutting some trees. The only two things that I wish it had are a hydrostatic transmission and a diff lock. The HST on my friend's 1220 works great and my little Husky is hydrostatic so having a manual takes a little getting used to. Also, and maybe I'm just trying to do too much with it, I often get the turf tires spinning as I try and scoop up a bucket of dirt. We have a lot of clay content here so the dirt is heavy and sticky so I think I just need to learn to take smaller bites.

This winter I plan to fix the leaky cylinders, replace the cracked (but not yet leaking) hoses and maybe give it some paint and new decals. I also plan to properly mount some lights on it to help out after dark. ;)

Sean :cool:

/ New buyer, looking for advice #56  
Just thought I would give an update.

First of all thanks to all for the helpful info. Without it I would have ended up buying something that did not fit my needs.:confused:

Ok speaking of needs, I think I may have just been a little too anxious in getting a tractor when I first moved into the new house. The need was more "want" and I realized this with hardly a day to spare. :rolleyes: Somehow, I had gone from leaning towards a BX to having negotiated a deal on a new Jinma 284 with FEL and BH. I opted out of either until I had some time to actually see what I would need for this yard, which was a good thing, because I didn't need a tractor this past summer.:eek:

A local motocross park caught my attention and at 39 years old I decided to try motocross for the first time. I got hooked! :p Both my wife and I have "enduro" bikes that are plated for the street but that we ride mostly off-road, now we also have MX bikes just for the track. The boys also love doing it so that is where we spent much of our free time, especially since the park is a mere 3 kms from our home. All that to say that there wasn't really any need to do anything with the yard that required a tractor. That is, until the park closed for the season, and I wanted to build an MX track for the boys that was suited to them. (mini track at the park is really for beginners and has no real jumps while the adult tracks have huge jumps and deep sand not suited to small wheels)

So we laid out the track mostly following existing trails that the kids made while play riding and decided to build it. Now there was a definite need for a tractor. One of my riding buddies built himself a towable backhoe and that was a huge help but I still needed a loader for moving dirt so I bought what I consider my "starter" tractor.:D

I drove twelve hours with my oldest son to get this 1980 Ford 1100 4x4.

100_1471Large.jpg

It had a few issues like a broken water pump and some leaking cylinders but everything worked and it looked to be in good overall condition so I brought it home. I replaced the water pump and tightened all the FEL mounting bolts and have been moving dirt and making jumps with it for a week now. :)

I'm pretty happy with it. It is a bit smaller than my friend's Ford 1220 but that is a good thing right now. As it is there are still some places I cannot fit in without cutting some trees. The only two things that I wish it had are a hydrostatic transmission and a diff lock. The HST on my friend's 1220 works great and my little Husky is hydrostatic so having a manual takes a little getting used to. Also, and maybe I'm just trying to do too much with it, I often get the turf tires spinning as I try and scoop up a bucket of dirt. We have a lot of clay content here so the dirt is heavy and sticky so I think I just need to learn to take smaller bites.

This winter I plan to fix the leaky cylinders, replace the cracked (but not yet leaking) hoses and maybe give it some paint and new decals. I also plan to properly mount some lights on it to help out after dark. ;)

You are living large....I am 60 and ride a KTM 525 EXC it keeps me young..and sometimes in pain...he he

Get a box blade with rippers to loosen up the dirt before you try to scoop it with the loader, you will be able to move a lot of dirt with little effort, and if you just want to move it around you don't need to take the time to pick it up just drag and stack with the box blade.

This is what a box blade can do with even a little tractor.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ar-blade-box-blade-project-2.html#post1757873

/ New buyer, looking for advice
You are living large....I am 60 and ride a KTM 525 EXC it keeps me young..and sometimes in pain...he he

LOL. My 525EXC...

Gronk1.jpg

...my wife's 525EXC...

100_0739Large.jpg

...and last year's track bike, an 01 520SX.:)

66618i7_20Custom.jpg

I'm kind of a KTM nut. We also have a 250 EXC-G (4stroke), a Mini Adventure and a 65SX in the garage.
The youngest starts riding next year so I have to add another little KTM and I'm shopping for a leftover 505 XC-F for me for next year's MX season. :D

BTW, thanks for the link. I have been looking for either a box blade or a regular blade. Good to know what each is best used for. :)

/ New buyer, looking for advice #58  
[BTW, thanks for the link. I have been looking for either a box blade or a regular blade. Good to know what each is best used for. :)

Sean :cool:[/QUOTE]

A 4 foot box blade will help with your traction also and you can always strap more weight to it if you need to.

You can strap on a set of tire chains to increase your traction a great deal. The are not pretty but very effective. A friend of mine dug a 15 foot deep pond with just an old heavy 2 wheel drive 12 hp garden tractor, a dozer blade on the front, a concrete block on the back and a set of cobbled together tire chains on otherwise old slick worn out tires. He stacked the extra dirt behind his garage about 10 foot high after building the berm around the pond.

I notice that your wifes bike is a lot cleaner than yours...he he

This is a picture of me and my bike after the most miserable ride of my life. I am the guy in the brown coveralls, not very stylish but warmer than some of the guys on the ride.

It was around 30 degrees. We planned the ride a couple days earlier. On the way to the trail head we ran into the snow. By the time we got to the trail there was 6 to 8 inches of fresh wet snow in the woods. We all looked at each other and asked if anyone wanted to chicken out. Being guys we all said of course not! I did mention that I thought we brought the wrong machines, perhaps snowmobiles would be more appropiate.

I durffed onto a 3 foot deep water hole 2 miles into the ride and submarined my KTM. One of the Honda riders was impressed, my bike was laying on its side with the throttle end of the handle bars sticking out of the water and it never even stalled. He commented that his Honda won't run when horizontal.

I rode the next 48 miles soaking wet. The trees had so much snow on them they were bent over and the branches would bounce off the number plate, springing them up in the air and throwing the wet snow up and it would come down on our heads and go down our necks. In places we had to lay on the tank and keep our heads lower than the bars just to get through the bent over trees.

Attachments

• Snow Rider.jpg
    Snow Rider.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 66