Tooth bar - worthwhile investment?

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #11  
Harv,
I ordered the "Standard" tooth bar from Carver. Terry told me he didn't ever remember selling one of the heavy "Specials" for a compact tractor. My 72" standard tooth bar weighs just shy of 70 pounds. You're not going to throw it around the yard, but it's not an unmanageable weight to pick up. I've taken mine off and on several times in the short period I've owned it. I don't like trying to smooth rock or gravel with the tooth bar on. It takes less than 5 minutes (probably more like 2) to unbolt it and remove it and about the same time to put it back on. Usually takes me longer to remember where I put the bolts than the actual mounting process. If like me, you'll probably end up leaving it on 90% of the time. Don't let the thought of removing and replacing it keep you from getting one. It's not that big a job. In one of the past threads about toothbars, someone said it's like "putting your tractor on steroids". I can't think of a better way to describe it when it comes to digging and removing brush/trees.

Hoss

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #12  
HARV & SCOTT: go ahead a nd get the toothbar. very useful. sometines u may not use it for a while but then at other times i use it a lot.depending on my job, i sometimes leave it on and sometimes take it off and put it back on as the need requires. no bid deal to remove or install.

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #13  
Since you don't have your tractor as of yet here is a test that really is very close to how your bucket on your tractor will act both with and without a toothbar. This may sound crazy but it's pretty much how a toothbar would act in real life.

Take some dirt and make a small pile with your hand pack it fairly tight. Now take a spoon and fork from your silverware drawer. First drive the spoon into the pile of dirt. Now drive the fork into the pile of dirt. That is pretty much how a toothbar will act on your tractor.

But yes a toothbar is a good investment.
I wouldn't be without one.
Gordon

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #14  
And make sure you wash the spoon and fork before you put them back in the drawer./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #15  
Ok, I have a dumb question.... Do these bolt on from the sides of the bucket or on the existing edge?

I am thinking if they bolt to the bottom then the threads get all hosed up..... Other than ones welded on I guess I haven't paid much attention as to how the bolted ones mount. They are just there.

I asked my dealer to order one for me when I bought the tractor but he hasn't been responding to my emails since I paid him for the tractor. I hope this practice doesn't become the normal for me and my dealer.

We were digging some saplings out the other day. Sure could have used a tooth bar.. Tom

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #16  
Most of the toothbars bolt on to the side. There are notches on the teeth that fit over the lip of the bucket, the bolts just hold the toothbar from slipping off.

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #17  
Matyac,

I find the FEL becomes far more serious with a toothbar. I am surprised that it is a custom "aftermarket" piece of equipment and not a "standard" option.

Light digging? No question a toothbar is a great investment. Without one, I was frankly disappointed in the performance of my FEL. With one, well, I can now dig.

What to pay? I paid $260 + $24 freight for a 60". I bought it from K.C. Canary JD, here in Upstate NY, on John Miller III recommendation. They were the only company willing to research my bucket to come up with the right specs. Others wanted me to do it, and I was not confident.

My guess is that there is only one or two manufacturers in the US. From photos posted on this forum, mine appears identical to those purchased from Carver. When I received the bar, the name of the OEM company was included in the paperwork. I can't find the paperwork, but I do remember they were located in Ill.

Good luck w/ your new Tractor!

Buck

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #18  
Buck, I'd really like to know the name of the OEM of your toothbar if you come across the paperwork. Thanks.

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #19  
Hoss, I purchased mine from Carvers but to tell you the truth, have no clue what the weight is. The teeth must slide onto at least 1" wide steel bars. By the way, for those of you not familiar, the tooth bar has a v like wedge where it slides over the bucket lip. As it goes on further it tightens up on the lip of the bucket and then the bolts hold it in place. It also removes very simply. A slight whack with a small sledge is all it takes. I remove install my bar almost weekly. Its a SNAP! Rat...

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #20  
I just ordered a tooth bar from a kubota dealer. It is manfactured here in IL. It will be 260.00 plus tax and shipping.