Tooth bar - worthwhile investment?

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #1  

Matyac

Tractor
Kubota L3010 HST with R4 tires
I'm in the process of purchasing a new Kubota L3010 along with some implements. The one thing I have not decided on yet is whether to purchase a toothbar for the FEL. I plan to do some light digging with the tractor and thought the toothbar might come in handy. Any comments/suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Scott

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #2  
The toothbar will be a very worthwhile addition if you plan on digging with the FEL. It is also helpful for removing stunps, uprooting brush and small trees, and makes a passible rake for screening out larger debris from dirt. Get a bolt on, two bolts hold it on, making removal very easy. I debated getting one for my FEL, now I am very happy I purchased it.

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #3  
Hey, Ed. I've been debating/wishing/dreaming about a toothbar myself. You're not the first to say how easy the bolt-ons come off, but I'm wondering -- just how often do you take it off? Or is it one of those attachments that you wind up treating as sort of permanent?
crazy.gif

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #4  
Harv, (may I call you Harv or do I address you with more dignity now that your a moderator, you know like your majestic most honorable majaharvey)? The toothbar on my tractor comes off quite frequently. Its quite heavy but I never really pick it up, I just slide it around and tap it on. I take it off to smooth and level as it is much easier to do with it off. It works extremely well for tree removal as the teeth can easily get into roots and grab into branches that a flat face bucket just can't. Even picking up piles of brush is now possible where before its tough to get much other then what would fit in the bucket. I particularly like back dragging with the teeth to open up the soil that is to wet to help it dry out as I did yesterday in a low lying area. Don't skimp and get a light weight one if they even make them. Mine has some pretty heavy steel in it and I can still bend things around, some of this may be due to the L48's large lift capacity. Now that I have used a toothbar, I would never not have one., it is extremely valuable. As mentioned, you can even use it for debris removal like a rake. Get one, they work great and make that front flat lip on your bucket useful for grabbing into piles of brush. Rat, Majarat...

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #5  
I take it off whenever I am loading loose material like piled dirt or gravel. This helps prevent scuffing the ground beneath the pile of material. Qtherwise I leave it on, as rat said, it is a pretty heavy chunk of metal. It is nice for picking up logs and other "rolley" items, gives you a little more surface to get under the items before you tilt the bucket back. As far as digging with the FEL, it is the best thing "since buttered bread" for breaking up sod covered or hard packed dirt.

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #6  
What brand tooth bar would you recommend & the approx cost on a 72" model?
Thanks,

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #7  
I can't really recommend a brand but I do offer a comment. I've read a lot of posts about folks buying them from a variety of places like Carver Equipt. for example. Not to knock them as I think they are a repudable supplier but I went to my local Kubota dealer to shop. They get $325 for a 60" bar. It is a well made heavy duty item. They order them in but say they get them like clockwork in two days. Considering the high cost of shipping, this price is either as good or better than what I can get from a remote dealer. My point here is don't rule out the local tractor shops.

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #8  
I just got off the phone with Terry Giles at Carver equipment. I ordered a 60" tooth bar for my Kubota b2910. Cost $295 including S&H. He said it would arrive in 7-10 days. I'll let you know how I make out.
David

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #9  
Scott, I got mine from Carver a year ago and I think it's a worth while investment. It adds some strength to the lip of your bucket also. I find it's useful in breaking up some hard ground allowing my box scrapper to then come on the next passs and move the soil.
Like putting the teeth off the box scrapper down , but many more and more weight to penitrate the soil better.
Also, good for smoothing out gravel in the driveway.

gary

/ Tooth bar - worthwhile investment? #10  
Gary, I find the tooth bar only breaks the soil a little bit as there just isn't that much depth or weight. The box scraper I have weighs about 1200lbs and has 8 hydraulic rippers on it. They are so aggressive pulling themselves down into the ground that in tough ground I have to go to low and fill the bucket with material and even then it can be to much to rip at full depth so its necessary to raise the box. In the end though, I have ground that is ripped down to about 12 inches. The toothbar is great for going over the already ripped ground for leveling without compacting like the flat lip would. Rat...

I got my bar from Carvers with the tractor. I use an air impact wrench to remove the two 1" bolts that hold it on.