Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog.

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #31  
I was trying to do that last night, but once it gets dark it is hard to see exactly where to make your turn in. I also waste a bit more of the cutting width because my mower is offset slightly to the right. I think I need to work a bit harder to perfect the figure eight. Sometimes I'm just making an 0.

Usually I'll make a couple passes around the perimeter to give myself some turning room. Then I'll make a pass down the middle. I keep moving over one mower width each and if I'm good, I'll be finishing up both sides of the 0 at the same time. :D

With odd shaped fields, I'll do my best to even them out around the edges and then make my middle cut or divide the field into smaller sections. My goal is to minimize time spent turning or running the tractor when I'm not cutting grass.

I actually had to take the tractor out of e-PTO last night. Running up hill in some thick grass was enough to bog the motor a couple thousand rpm - from 1,700 rpm to 1,500 rpm. e-PTO sure saves fuel, but sometimes, you just gotta crank up the revs! :) With the rpm set at 2,400 it feels like my mower is much too small. :)

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #32  
Boy,
You guys must have a lot better growing season than I do.
I mow once a year and usually after it's all dried. It's dusty dry and then, but nothing grows after that until the following Spring.

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #33  
Down here, growth is proportional to rain... I didn't have to mow any before mid march because of no rain.. not.. it's ALL rain! :)

soundguy

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #34  
On a farm should not all that growth be harvested or grazed down by animals??:confused::confused::confused:

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #35  
On a farm should not all that growth be harvested or grazed down by animals??:confused::confused::confused:

Hard to harvest the grass around the house.. and i don't trust my animals grazing in the ROW. ( Though I know some people that do graze their animals on roadsides and in ROW's..

the rest o fthe mowing I'm doing is weed abatment in established pastures.. the 'tree-weeds' grow up tall, fast.. plus the cow hay usually has plenty of weed seed in it, and wherever the cows 'go'.. it have weeds to mow...

soundguy

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #36  
Bahia grows faster than a horse can eat it. Plus, as Soundguy mentioned, weed control. Harvesting Bahia, while doable, is not cost effective here - especially in grazing pastures.

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #37  
Everyone must know something I've heard of. Mowing wet grass will dull your blades:confused: I just finished cutting wet grass. so, I guess I'll have to sharpen my blades again:(

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #38  
Speaking of wet mowing. If I have to I have to. HEAVY dew and a cool morning last Saturday in east Texas. I don't like to FM in the dew, clumping, etc. Plus my FM has a couple missing baffles and the grass gets lost in the middle. Wet stuff makes it worse.

Rob

Attachments

• wet-dew-mowing.JPG
    wet-dew-mowing.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 128
   / Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #39  
Everyone must know something I've heard of. Mowing wet grass will dull your blades:confused: I just finished cutting wet grass. so, I guess I'll have to sharpen my blades again:(

i sharpen my blades at the beginning of each season.. mine still feel pretty good.. I'm not sure wet or dry is an issue.. but more about entrained sand... now.. sandy areas that I mow.. now that will dull a blade fast.

Considdering the grass I cut is usually so wet and lush ( right now anyway ).. that there is plenty of liquid under the deck even when it is 'dry' out.. etc.... I figure it's cooling the blade ;).. kinda like a emulsion feed for a chopsaw or drill.. etc..

soundguy

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #40  
My blades get beat to snickers quick. It might be the 3-4" softwoods, or the 1-3" hardwoods, the 3' hardwood stumps or maybe the moss covered granite? I just run the angle grinder over the rough spots. Unfortunately, they have been breaking off where the blade bends for the lift. That's not so good.... It's a feaky feeling when the cutter sarts shaking like mad and you realize that 5 pounds of sharp metal just went flying off somewhere at 15,000 ft/min.

jb