New Bush Hog, old tractor. How do you hook'em up?

/ New Bush Hog, old tractor. How do you hook'em up? #1  

Samandothers

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240
I have a Bush Hog SQL-160 that I run with my Kubota. :) When attaching the drive shaft from the Bush Hog to the PTO on my Kubota I have to slide back a collar on the end of the drive shaft as I slide it up on the PTO. This allows the splines to slide up on the PTO. When the 'ball' aligns with the trough in the PTO the collar is released and holds the 'ball' in the trough so the drive shaft will not back off.
My brother has an 8N. We would like to use the SQL-160 with the tractor. He has a PTO mounted clutch (for over run) used with the 8N and an older model Bush Hog back in the late 60's early 70's. The clutch requires a sleeve to 'enlarge' the splines so the Bush Hog drive shaft will fit tight on the clutch. The problem is a pin is required to lock the drive shaft to the clutch. The SQL 160 drive shaft has the collar and ball arrangement and no hole for a pin. :(

What is the best fix? New clutch, different drive shaft for this tractor? I am open for suggestions. :confused:

Thanks for some input!

/ New Bush Hog, old tractor. How do you hook'em up? #2  
My suggestion would be to have your brother purchase a new overrunning clutch for the pto shaft on his 8N. One that is compatable with the SQL-160 drive shaft locking mechanism. Something like this should work:
2501945_lg.gif

Larry

/ New Bush Hog, old tractor. How do you hook'em up? #3  
The complete 1-3/8" PTO replacement shaft is available and I don't think too hard to replace. I seen it over at the Yesterdays Tractor site. It may be an option to just replace the whole shaft and bearing and then your brother would have the newer sized PTO shaft. bjr

/ New Bush Hog, old tractor. How do you hook'em up?
Thanks guys for the suggestions. These are both good alternatives. I have also contacted the dealer where I purchased the Bush Hog to see if maybe a different half shaft is available that can be pinned.