Grease nipple problems

/ Grease nipple problems #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
One of the grease nipples on my loader needs to be changed. They put a right angle nipple on so it points directly at the loader arm. I am not sure how they thought you were supposed to get a grease gun on this. Anyway it sure looks like a 8mm nipple. I bought some straight 8mm 1mm pitch nipples from TSC. When I tried putting the new nipples in they didn't cross thread but it tried to make the threads in the nipple deeper. I didn't go very far since I did not want to mess things up. Any idea what nipples I should use? If it matters this is on a FarmTrac 4050M loader.

/ Grease nipple problems #2  
I have a couple boxed kits of zerks, one metric and one SAE. (From harbor freight) Measure the old one and compare to the new ones. It's not rocket science, unlike the engineering experiment of putting the fitting where you can't reach it!

/ Grease nipple problems #3  
Some Asian manufacturers use British Standard Pipe Tapered threads instead of metric. A BSPT 1/16"-28tpi thread is slightly finer and smaller than a metric 8x1 and a BSPT 1/8"-28 tpi is slightly finer and larger than a metric 8x1. If the loader is threaded for BSPT, your metric zerks may screw in, but the fit will not be good. BSPT zerks are available at McMaster Carr.

I got frustrated with keeping four sizes of zerks around: 1/8"-27tpi NPT and 1/4"-28 SAE taper for American stuff, metric for European pto shafts, and BSPT for Japanese tractors, that I bought a 1/8"-27tpi NPT short projection tap that is the pipe tap equivalent of a bottom tap on straight threads. It usually threads even a very shallow hole far enough to hold a zerk. Whenever a zerk needs replacing, if I can get access to the hole I rethread it to 1/8"-27 NPT. At the rate the European and Japanese zerks are either falling out, getting smashed, or just leaking, I will probably have gone through everything in a couple more years.

/ Grease nipple problems
Farmerford,
Thanks for the information. Didn't know there is a third "standard". The threads on the zerk I took out did look slightly finer than the metric ones I bought. I bet I have the BSPT 1/16"-28tpi zerks. I will check McMaster-Carr.

/ Grease nipple problems #5  
One of the grease nipples on my loader needs to be changed. They put a right angle nipple on so it points directly at the loader arm. I am not sure how they thought you were supposed to get a grease gun on this.

Just curious, have you tried to get a grease gun on it in all loader positions? On several of my machines I need to put backhoes and loaders in 3 or 4 positions to get all zerks.

Andy

/ Grease nipple problems #6  
The loader was made in North Carolina. The tractor was made in S Korea, but the loaders and back hoes on the smaller Farmtracs are American made. May be it is a standard US zirk. I havn't needed to replace any on my FT but I can get you one from my dealer, if you can't get one that goes in right.

Mark

/ Grease nipple problems #7  
Another thought, can you losen the nipple a little to get the gun on? One of the 90deg zirks on my loader is a little lose and will twist about half a turn which makes getting the grease gun on a snap. I haven't had any problem with grease coming out of the threads, so do not believe it is a problem for the zirk to be a little loose.

Mark

/ Grease nipple problems #8  
I've replaced a couple of zerks on my KMW loader. They used press-in types. I just shut the tractor off and relieve the pressure in the hydraulics. Then pull the pin out of the cylinder, remove the zerk, tap and install the new one. It is fairly simple.

/ Grease nipple problems
I have tried several positions but I still can't get to it. I will try turning them about half a turn would make them work. I just expected they would leak if not tight. I will try turning them to grease it them tighten them back up so as not to loose them.

/ Grease nipple problems #10  
If loosening it doesn't work, let me know and I'll swing by my dealer and pick a couple up for you.

Mark