How stupid can I be?

/ How stupid can I be? #1  

Champy

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 990
So I was bush hogging on the tree farm today. Stopped to take a water break, etc....then hopped on the JD; start it up; engage the PTO; put it in gear......and nothing. IT WON'T MOVE!

So I proceed to check the: Parking Brake; is the Bush Hog hung up; start it up again after each check.....nothing. Try every gear....nothing. Now go under the tractor (don't worry its off)....looking for broken linkages; transmission parts; fluid spewing.........still nothing. Wait, lets try 4WD, maybe the front end will pull if something's wrong in the back........nope. Each time I put it into gear I get nothing but a click-click-click from the tranny...........**** I musta busted something.

Now some of you may already know the solution, but for those of you who need to learn these things the hard way (like me)....here's what was wrong with my JD990 - IT WAS THE RANGE SELECTOR! AGHHHHH! What a Charlie Brown move.....I musta bumped it inbetween ranges and a range was not properly selected....hence the click-click-click.

Now I am wondering if: 1) have I already done this before?; and 2) how long before I do it again? Stupid, stupid, stupid man......

/ How stupid can I be? #2  
:rolleyes: It can happen to us Hydro guys also! :eek:

/ How stupid can I be? #3  
Don't call yourself stupid, 'er you just called ME stupid :eek:

A few summers past, I had just bought my very first gooseneck trailer. I was hunting for a reason to use it. A friend bought a barn full of baled straw. I agreed to help haul it.

I've always owned 4wd trucks. They're just plain too handy on a farm. My new gooseneck was hooked to an ALMOST new Dodge 4wd. I had just swapped it for a Ford, and wasn't all too familiar with the transfer case shifter just yet.

OK.... Where we picked up the straw, I had to pull out of a dirt road onto a fairly busy state hiway. I wheeled out onto the road with the truck in low/4, shifted into neutral, slapped the transfer case shifter into H/2, put the tranny back in gear and hit thegas peddle. VVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOmmmmmmmm. (with no "go")

Hmmmmmmm! What in the..........? I fiddled around for a couple seconds, then hit the emergency flashers. I just KNEW I'd wasted the transmission or something "expensive". After upsetting the delicate balance of nature by blocking traffic for a few minutes, causing several horns to blow and middle fingers to elevate, I noticed the transfer case shifter was in between 4w/h and 2w/h..... IN NEUTRAL.

Oooooooooooops!

Never told anyone about this until now. So if you don't mind, don't tell anyone else ;)

/ How stupid can I be? #4  
I do something stupid every day, just not on purpose!:rolleyes:
Welcome to the club. If thats the worst that you do, your much better off than me! My mistakes usually cost me money!:eek:

/ How stupid can I be? #5  
LOL... That can happen to anyone. I earned my badge on a newly acquired Ford. The "newer" Fords won't start unless the range selector is IN neutral. Try spending an hour chasing down what you think to be a dead battery or bad wire connection. :eek: :rolleyes:

Did you look around to see if anyone was watching? :p

/ How stupid can I be? #6  
The old farmer I bought a 3ph backhoe from was going to get a mechanic out to look at his full size backhoe because it would not move... I asked about the high/low shifter and he said he never touches that one :D ...played with it and put it back in gear and all was well. :)

/ How stupid can I be? #7  
"how stupid can I be?"

I don't know, it seems I am always plumbing new depths of stupidity, with no end in site!

jb

/ How stupid can I be? #9  
So I was bush hogging on the tree farm today. Stopped to take a water break, etc....then hopped on the JD; start it up; engage the PTO; put it in gear......and nothing. IT WON'T MOVE!

So I proceed to check the: Parking Brake; is the Bush Hog hung up; start it up again after each check.....nothing. Try every gear....nothing. Now go under the tractor (don't worry its off)....looking for broken linkages; transmission parts; fluid spewing.........still nothing. Wait, lets try 4WD, maybe the front end will pull if something's wrong in the back........nope. Each time I put it into gear I get nothing but a click-click-click from the tranny...........**** I musta busted something.

Now some of you may already know the solution, but for those of you who need to learn these things the hard way (like me)....here's what was wrong with my JD990 - IT WAS THE RANGE SELECTOR! AGHHHHH! What a Charlie Brown move.....I musta bumped it inbetween ranges and a range was not properly selected....hence the click-click-click.

Now I am wondering if: 1) have I already done this before?; and 2) how long before I do it again? Stupid, stupid, stupid man......

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. That happens to most of us TBNers.
I bumped the PTO lever on my Kubota B7510HST a week or se after it was delivered. Spent 10 minutes scratching my head before I figured out the problem was that the interlock on the PTO lever wasn't satisfied so the tractor would not start.

/ How stupid can I be? #10  
Ok,
Here's one, so you don't feel bad.
I performed my 50 hour service on my BX24 yesterday. Went over everything before to get a plan. Plan was, fuel filters first, air filter, engine oil and filter, hydraulic oil and filter, then axle gear oil last. Well I was up to the engine oil and drained it. I slid my collection pan over, so I could remove the oil filter and catch any oil with the pan. I had the cap style oil filter removers, you know, the type that use a 1/4" ratchet. Well, every time I tried the cap slipped on the filter. It(the filter) was on there good. Tried for a while and decided to take a ride to Autozone. Picked up an oil filter plier and went back home. Filter came right off. Great, right. Well I installed the new filter and started filling the engine. I got about half a quart in and got that oh, oh feeling. Anyone, anyone.
Yep, I forgot to put the drain plug back in the engine. Darn. I saw some nice clean oil coming out. Popped the plug in and everthing else went well.
Could I get by with telling people, it's a new way to flush the engine with fresh oil. Probably not.