steering ajustment

/ steering ajustment #1  

bedway

I have a B 7200 kubota that is in really good shape. The steering wheel has got to much play in it from point to point. The book says it should be adjusted to no more than 2 inches free play. Currently i have a little over 4 inches. I loosened the lock nut on the steering box and turned the screw in to take out some of the free play. Problem is now the screw is in so far there are no threads sticking out to tighten the lock nut on. Can anyone give me some input on this? Thanks in advance,,,,,,,bedway

/ steering ajustment #2  
Sounds like there was alot of sector backlash and it took all or most of the adjustment available. Can you get a thinner nut.. like a pal or locking nut.

soundguy

/ steering ajustment
No i cant. After i adjusted the screw in, there is not enough of the screw sticking out, (with threads) to start the nut on to lock the screw in place. Im not familiar with a steering box adjustment. Is it just a matter of taking the screw out and replaceing it with a longer screw so more will stick out to thread the lock nut onto? As is evident, im only a back yard mechanic, and tractors are not my specialty. bedway

/ steering ajustment #4  
It's likely that the adjustment stud is linked to the sector gear with a slotted clevis or similar 'slip' type joint.. so no.. it's not a matter of putting a 'longer' bolt in.

You really should own a service manual and owners manual for your tractor.. an exploded parts diagram would help you visulize the steering components.

I think I'd find a nut of the same thread pitch and grind it flat on one side so that it engaged the threads immediatly.,, that way.. if you have even 1-2 threads on that stud exposed.. it might grab them... only other option is to adjust the stud out to a minimum distance so the nut will grab and see what play that gives you... I'm surprised that the stud will adjsut in far enough so that the locknut won't grab it.. IE.. I'm surprised there was that much play.

Does the steering wheel rise and fall as you steer lock to lock? if so.. thrust bearings are out.. repalce and readjust.

steering stiff now? if so.. sector backlash may be adjsuted too much.

check other steering components for play like tie rod ends.. etc..

soundguy

/ steering ajustment
My steering now has about 5 inchs of play in the wheel. No the steering wheel does not rise and fall when you turn it. The rest of the steering, tie rods, etc. are fine. I do have an exploded view of the steering box. Ill try to post it. bedway

/ steering ajustment #6  
Sounds like lots of sector backlash then, if the steering whell don't rise, and the rst of the steering components are not worn.. Other issue could be badle worn sector busing allowing front to rear movement of the sector gear and arm before rotational movement begins..

soundguy

/ steering ajustment #7  
:DAt this point it may be best to just rebuild the steering box.:D

/ steering ajustment #8  
There's probably a nut on the steering gearbox that holds a big screw in place. Loosen the nut and tighten the screw tightly then back off a tad. Had to do this on my Benz after about 140k miles or so. Hopefully, your tractor has such an adjustment.

Ralph

/ steering ajustment #9  
No need to rebuild a box if it can be brought into tolerance with built in adjustment.

when it's too wore to adjust... or it breaks.. then you rebuild them...

Single and double sector gear steering boxes with recirculating ballnuts and wormshafts are realitively easy to rebuild and time with simple hand tools.

soundugy

/ steering ajustment #10  
The manual steering boxes on some of the small kubotas take a heck of a beating. This is exacerbated by front end loaders.

They are quite simple to pull off, take apart and check out. The chances are excellent that some worn parts will lead to more worn parts etc. It may also be noted that the most expensive parts are those that appear to wear first. So, if its apart and needs some parts why not do a proper job of it now instead of next year and the following year. etc. etc.:D

The owner may want to put a few hours on his machine and good tight steering is always enjoyable!:D

Over 3000 hours of operating time the gearbox on my Kubota B7100 was rebuilt twice and may have been indicating another was in the offing.:D

Send me a message with your email and I can send the details for a Kubota B7100 steering gear box.:D

Last edited: