operating at less than 540

/ operating at less than 540 #21  
Hi Andy,
Unless I misunderstood the intent of your reply, I take it you disagree with my statement?
I thought it was pretty comprehensive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RRL
I agree it shouldn't hurt your tractor to run at it's rated 2500rpm like Jim points out, but it makes sense that running it less than wide open can have some benefits. .

No actually I totally agree with you .

Andy

/ operating at less than 540 #22  
Gary, I've got a clutch on the PTO. But the blades loose momentum when the clutch is engaged. And when doing short back and forth cutting, they hardly recover to proper speed.

/ operating at less than 540 #23  
Tony123:
That is why I like the powershift. Even though my old Yanmar does not have a live PTO, I dont have to clutch to stop, just shift the powershift to neutral, then into reverse to back up. Although if I do have to clutch, it speeds back up fairly fast and I can alway start of with the Powershift in neutral to get the Hog up to speed before I try to move off. But then again my tractor is 50 engine HP with just a 6 foot mower so it isnt in a bind for power in most situations.
I guess the only option for you would be to try to avoid the stops by making a lot of circles if possible. I do have on my property a V that is bordered by a fence on one side and creek on the other than I have the same problem, I have to back in and out to try to mow it and it takes a lot of time. Glad I no longer have to use the BILs little 19 HP 750 JD gear drive. IT was like your tractor, took forever to shift gears and get back to speed when you stopped.

/ operating at less than 540 #24  
Redneckford:
As I said in my post I reduce throttle to no more than 75% of the rated 540 RPM speed since 540 is exactly 75% of 720, the pto speed should be exactly 540 RPM at 75%. I also check the gear box occassionally to make sure it isnt overheating. Since my tractor HP / bushhog size is quit generous (50 HP with a 6 foot rotary cutter) I still have plenty of power even at reduced RPM. Others may not have that option if they have just about maxed out the needed HP with the size of cutter. If you are really lugging your motor at reduced throttle, you will likely be burning more fuel than you would at a higher RPM and less load.