Power assisted clutching !!

/ Power assisted clutching !! #1  

JC-jetro

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700
Howdy all,

I wondered if anyone came across or know of a manufacturer that uses a hydraulic power assisted clutch release mechanism. I'm talking something real basic where you have a gear transmission, single clutch, transmission driven pto with the normal release bearing, hub and mechanical release pedal with one exception. The exception would be to have an external hydraulic "slave cylinder" of sort to assist clutching. The external slave cylinder would be housed somewhere below the deck, serviceable from the outside. It would be no more that small single acting piston with spring return mechanism and right hydraulic valving attached to pedal where normal clutch pedal is.

I'm not approaching a shuttle shift design but more of "power assisted clutching".

Is there anything like that out there?

appreciate any response.

Thanks,
JC,

/ Power assisted clutching !! #2  
   / Power assisted clutching !!
Sounds like you're looking for some kind of assistive device perhaps for someone who does not have full use of their left leg.

I did a quick google search on "assistive devices clutch" and found this link plus many others that may be what you need.

Best of luck....

WVBill

Thanks Bill, good info. No longer people can buy cars without power steering or power assisted brakes which certainly is a good thing. I was not considering an ad on for our less-abled folks but more like if the tractor maker/designers have incorporated this simple technology.

Thanks,
JC,

/ Power assisted clutching !! #4  
Umm... utility class tractors have them.

Cars & trucks have had them for decades.

Hydraulic brakes started back in the 30's?? My '47 Dodge PU had them. Hyd clutch is about the same thing.

/ Power assisted clutching !! #5  
I don't think just changing the clutch to operation with a hydraulic cylinder is going to make a whole lot of difference. My '63 Chevy 3/4 ton had a mech clutch, my '67 IH 3/4 ton had a master cyl/slave cyl. About the same effort for each. The clutch return spring is the same. I think what you would need would be a clutch with a power assist to reduce the effort - and probably hand operated, at that. Kind of like power brakes, which reduce the effort as compared to the old mechanical brakes from years ago.

Umm... utility class tractors have them.

Cars & trucks have had them for decades.

Hydraulic brakes started back in the 30's?? My '47 Dodge PU had them. Hyd clutch is about the same thing.

On my stupid 93 Jeep Cherokee there is a hydraulic slave cylinder (bellows type) inside the transmission. The stupid thing has a quick connect push on type fitting that leaks a bit from time to time. I have got to drop the transmission/transfer case to replace the slave cylinder, and they recommend a clutch change while I'm at it. How Stupid is that?:mad: suffice it to say this hair brain idea lasted one year to my knowledge as 99% of hyd clutches on autos have external hyd slave cylinder including earlier and alater jeep model,..... getting off of the subject here:eek:.
On most plain Jane gear tractor the clutch manipulation is all robust mechanical design and I have not seen myself any that has external slave cylinder to facilitate clutching. Can you mention a name or model of utility tractor that has them in the configuration I mentioned.

Thanks,
JC,

/ Power assisted clutching !! #7  
I'll bet you could make up a air over hyd cyl that pops the clutch down.. and then a orificed release to keep it from poping the clutch on release...

soundguy

I guess there are several ways to skin that cat but am curious why manufacturer's have not embraced the idea for tractors. Looks to me it can be a good selling point and at least it should be an option. With open center hyd there is ample by pass flow , why not use a bit of it, specially since clutching in the tractor is much less frequent than cars and clutch pedals are usually stiff.

JC,

/ Power assisted clutching !! #9  
My guess is the gear tractor is still the economy unit.. start rigging it with gear-shift help.. and you might as well get a hydro for the cost..

soundguy