Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase

/ Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase #21  
Depends on where you live... Firewood such as Oak is free for the taking here in the SF Bay Area... I posted a notice at work... free cut and split oak firewood with free delivery to your driveway... no takers.

The media runs TV, Radio and Billboard ads giving a Hotline number to report chimney smoke.

I have an old Apache chipper that does a nice job chipping 3" wood and shredding the leaves and twigs, but unless it's pine, I cut and burn it anything larger than 2".

Here in the northeast, hardwood sells for > $250/cord, if you can find it. With oil just shy of $4/gallon and the temps getting cooler, unattended stacks of wood are prime targets for theft.

Jay

/ Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase #22  
I've got a Goossen 3 point Chipper / Shredder and it is very nice. It will chip up to 6" but as others have said anything bigger than 2" I burn in the wood stove. As far as shredding, it excels at that too. Branches and twigs under 1.5" can be dropped in the top and the hammers take it from there.

I think your tractor might be too much for it though as they recommend a max of 30 PTO HP.

Do a search for my name and you can read further on it.

/ Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase
We picked up the Wallenstein BX42 today. I took it out just to try it for 15 minutes and it does a great job. VERY well built piece of equipment. On our John Deere 4120 (43HP 2.4 liter 4 cylinder turbo diesel) it doesn't even slow the engine with solid maple up to about 3 inches. I haven't tried anything bigger just yet. We may cut the larger stuff and stack it. We don't sell wood but we do occasionally give some to family for a cheap price. All these branches and so on we've been used to burning in a big pile a few times a year. Now that the neighborhood is building up, we may have to cut down on the burning, thus the chipper purchase. Plus it's just convenient to have the chipper for quick disposal of branches anytime. I'll attach a few photos of the size chips it makes.

Last edited:
   / Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase #24  
I have the PTO Bearcat chipper/shredder with the additional blower. It is on a B9200 HST Kubota. The one I have is designed for 3 in . The newer Bearcats will chip 4 in or better. One of the guys on the PT forum adapted his chipper to be driven by a hydraulic motor. The shredder knives are double sided and serrated . The output of the blower can be deflected in any direction, and you can collect the chips/shredded material in a container with a net on the top of the container. I have used it to re-mulch mulch to make smaller and throw it in to plant beds.

You can also change the output grate for different material size.