Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase

/ Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase #1  

tillboy2001

Gold Member
We're going to the John Deere dealer today after work to look at wood chippers and/or chipper/shredder combo units (if they have them there). I understand John Deere pushes the Frontier brand? Our budget is about $,3000. I'd like to get your opinion on this purchase. If you know of a better brand or something more useful please reply. We'd prefer something that chips AND has a shredding capability since we like to compost (garden waste mainly and leaves....corn stalks, tall ornamental grass, etc). If a shredded will chop up things like that well enough a chipper would be fine...but I worry about clogging it up with softer and smaller material like that mentioned above.

Looking for something that fits the following description...

- For use with PTO on John Deere 4120 tractor (43HP turbo diesel)
- Chipper
- Shredder (preferably)
- Durable/Heavy Duty
- Chips wood 4" in diameter (or larger if it fits in our budget of $3,000)
- Attaches to 3 point hitch on tractor for easy transport to work area

What are your thoughts? What brand/model would you buy if that was your budget?

Thanks

/ Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase #2  
I went the Jinma or Jinma imitation route, depending on who you ask.

For me, and my needs it was a good investment, but, it lacks the fit and finish of the others.

/ Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase #3  
   / Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase #4  
The Jinma isn't going to do your shredding of soft stuff very well.
It will handle 6" stuff nicely, and need a good 'Dealer/User Prep' before you get going.
It will easily fit in your budget ....

/ Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase #5  
I've got a valby CH170 on my 4720. Heres a link to the manufacturer :Tractor Chipper

I got the hydraulic feed and its great. However I would suspect that you will not be satisfied feeding softer material in as it will likely lead to clogging issues. (the anvils are adjustable so if the machine is setup right it may be avoidable)

The construction of this unit is excellent.

This will handle a 6" log no problem if the blades are sharp.

/ Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase #6  
Mark-
I have the Mackassic TPH122 chipper/shredder and it works great. It handles everything I put in it. It is so forecful that it will will rip brush out of your hands when you feed it into the shredder. What do you mean by when you can get it to start? Mine is PTO driven - do you have a model powered by a gas engine? I have no complaints about it - being PTO driven their is very little maintence on the unit. - Mike

/ Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase #7  
You might also look at DR, BearCat, Wallenstein, Woods, and Salsco. If you search the forum for chipper shredder, you will be able to get a sense of what has worked well for others. Good luck with your search.

/ Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase #8  
Yes I have an old gas powered model. Like I said the unit has had a rough life. When I got it it was missing many of the shrouds and safety items etc. The engine is a bit difficult to start, but once running it is strong. I would like to update to the PTO version, as it is not easy to move and is missing parts etc.

Thanks for the reply.

/ Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase
We actually went with a Wallenstein BX42s BX42s/BX62s Wood Chippers - Wallenstein

That's what the dealer was selling. It appears to be VERY heavy duty/well made. Made in Canada. They had the 6" chipper on hand so we looked at that one but they had to order the 4" chipper for us. They didn't carry shredders but we decided we'd be just fine with the chipper since that would be it's main use - chomping branches and so on.

Cost is just over $3,000. Can't wait for it to arrive. I've got lots of downed trees and branches from Hurricane Ike waiting for it :)

Here's some of the wind we got (60-75 MPH gusts for several hours) from Ike, over 1000 miles from the Gulf. We were without power for 3 days....some others for a week. Videos

/ Advice on Chipper/Shredder Purchase #10  
Good web site on the Wallenstein. Let us know how it is at shredding stuff. Looks like it'll do chipping of up to 4" stuff, but how does the shredding of small stuff work?

To answer Mark_G, I have a TPH-122 that I love. It's FAR easier to maintain than a previous engine-driven Troy Bilt Tomahawk. (Notice the all cap "FAR") In fact, maintenance is a "piece of cake" once you buy the proper socket-driven allen wrench for the chipper blade, learn to clean the hole well and to drive the wrench in for a firm, deep fit before removing. I've rotated the hammers once, again a REAL "piece of cake" compared to the horrendous job on the Troy Bilt. My TPH-122 is used on my 18.5 hp JD 4010. I've NEVER bogged it down and had to shut down to clean anything out of it. Of course, I learned from numerous bog-downs on the Troy Bilt and some on a non-chipping MacKissic mounted on a 12 hp Gravely.

Ralph