Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota L3430

Default Re: Help! Stuck In The Sand

There are only three solutions that come to my mind:

1. Heavier tractor.
    2. More tractive tires.
    3. More delicate technique, as has been suggested.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    TC 21D & Farmall 100

I had a similar problem with my TC 21 D when using the FEL, until I added about 400 pounds to the 3 pt ( I made a cement weight) It is very easy I used a plastic tub, threaded rod and Sacrete. My rear tires are loaded with CaCl, but the rear weight made a big difference. The advice you have been given by others is also good, go slow and take small bites!!!!!!!

Tractor
    New Holland TC18

I usually have the back blade on the 3 pt but my tires are not loaded, loading the tires might help. Also would it help to put any weight on the towing hitch?

What type of tires do you have?

Thanks for the input!

Tractor
    Mahindra 4110

Egon-

Wet sand definitely makes a lot of difference!

A couple of fellows I knew (honest! I wasn't one of them!!) in their youth hung around the beach on weekends during the summer. Lots of people would "cruise" the beach - but some of them didn't have much sense and took their Camaros & other low ground clearance vehicles on to the sand. Before you knew it, sand was spraying as they tried to "gas" their way out.

Well, the fellow and his buddy would find such folks and tell them "We can get you out for $20." Demanded payment BEFORE removal. Anyway, they'd get the $20 and then proceed to "relieve" themselves self just behind the rear tires. As long as the driver didnít "gun" it, they would often just back right out. The $20? Well, usually went to purchase more "adult beverages" which were then "recycled" and often used on the next goofball that got stuck.

Wet sand - yep - definitely helps traction! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

If you're going to work on the beach in sand maybe some really wide turf tires would be the ticket. If you add weight to your industrials I think you would just make matters worse. On most surfaces the weight would help but you probably want to "float" on the sand if you can.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    '05/'06 L39 TLB

BGM,

Larger tires sounds good, but if you don't want to buy new tires....try to deflate the ones you have a bit. Not too much, but enough to give you some more width. I used to do this in my Jeep on the beach. It works well and is standard practice when traveling in the sand. When you're back on hard ground you can fill them again. I guess you're gunna need a compressor now. Excellent excuse for another fine tool to have around.

Tractor
    Kubota L 3010

Test the wet sand theory by setting up a sprinkler in an area you would like to have more traction in.

Good Luck

bruce

Gold Member
    Tractor
    TC 21D & Farmall 100

I have R-4 tires, it might help to put weight on the hitch , but I think you would be limited as to how much you could put on. I think the loaded tires would work better for you. This has been discussed in great detail in the past. Try a search and I think you will find lots of info on what to use/ pros and cons.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

Iíve never had my tractor in sand, but I have been four wheeling in sand with Jeeps many times. The key to sand is to stay as light as possible! Also, use wide tires with low tire pressures, I mean very low, less than 5 PSI. Also, the aggressive tread is only going to make you dig in Ė which means youíll dig DOWN. If youíre primarily going to be using your new tractor is sand, then I would see if your dealer is willing to swap your industrials for turfs. Did you tell your dealer at the time you were buying it that you would be using it in sand? If so, they should have known better than to sell you industrials.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

The whole idea of having a tractor though, is weight and traction. A super light weight tractor, with no traction isn't going to pull a large implimint good... A box blad would be out of the question. A light jeep for floating over the sand is one thing.. but the tractor uses ground engaging equipment.. new story.

Soundguy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast