Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Kubota L2500DT w/FEL

Default Re: Help! Stuck In The Sand

I agree with mosey and hosejockey. Sounds like you're talking about beach sand. If so more weight will just let you dig a deeper hole. You need a bigger footprint to stay on top of the sand. Probably the one situation I would say turfs are a superior tire!! Even consider some of the oversized turfs and then, as everyone else mentioned take as big a bite as you can without spinning your wheels.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

Soundguy – I agree that a tractor is a “ground engaging” piece of equipment. However, there has to be some ground to engage to! Sand and other surfaces, such as bottomless mud and muck, just don’t have a bottom sometimes. Some mud has a solid bottom, so tall skinny aggressive tires will work the best, but other mud has no solid bottom, at least not within a few feet, and that’s when flotation tires are needed. So, you have to work within the limitations. Sand can only provide a limited amount of traction because there’s nothing down there to get a bit on.

Tractor
    New Holland TC18

Thanks for all the input!

There seems to be three major variables for my application:
    Tires
    Weight
    Technique

After reading everyones input there is no final conclusion on tires or weight. I sent an e-mail to Bridgestone asking them what the best tires for the application are. As for weight I will do an experiment with the back blade off and on and see which gives me better traction with the FEL.

I am happy to report that technique was my biggest problem. After a couple of days of practice the tractor is handling much better. Doing what I need just in smaller increments.

I will keep everyone posted on what Bridgestone says and how the weight experiment goes.

Tractor
    Kubota B7500

BGM72,

I know I am getting in late on this post but I have a fair bit of experience with a project such as yours.

I have a large sugar sand beach. The depth of the soft sand is anywhere from 4" to 12".

I have a kubota 21hp, FWD, and filled R-4's.

The most effective way for me to move sand and level is to use my rear blade. Not the rake or boxblade.

With the blade angle in the "normal" forward position, I lower the blade until it firmly contacts the sand, then (in reverse), I push the sand where I want it.

The significance of this method is that the wheels are traveling over previously graded sand that is (1) not as deep and (2) somewhat compacted by the weight and action of the blade. The result is very few traction problems. I rarely have to step on the differential pedal.

Hope this helps

Tractor
    New Holland TC18

Let me make sure I am clear on how you have the blade positioned. You have the curve of the blade facing twords the tractor so that if you were to go forward with the tractor the blade would be bitting in?

Have you tried turf tires?
    How much of a difference did loading the tires make?

I really appreciate the help!

Tractor
    Kubota B7500

That is correct.

My previous tractor, a small kubota had turfs and only two wheel drive. I did not discover this method until I bought my new tractor so I am not able to compare apples to apples. But in my opinon the R-4's are the better choice for this application.

The fact of the matter is, is that traction is not a big issue when using the blade in the manner described.

Tractor
    Kubota L 3010

This sounds like what I achieve when leveling with the FEL by angling it slightly down and backing up. Avoids digging in and allows for the implement to float a little when necessary.

bruce

Tractor
    Kubota B7500

Bruce,

I think the main difference in (reversing with a rear blade facing forward) is that the tractor tires are traveling over graded and somewhat compacted soil, which helps to overcome the traction issues.

Your method may be just as effective though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123