Help! Stuck In The Sand

/ Help! Stuck In The Sand #1  

BGM72

Tractor
New Holland TC18
I took delivery of a New Holland TC 18 with 4WD, FEL (54" bucket) , Industrial Tires, Rear Blade and Yard Rake. I bought the tractor to pull sand away from the house that has built up over the winter and to rake the beach after it is level. I was very excited and put the tractor right to work. I started by trying to use the bucket to dig in - the tires spun, I used the back blade to pull the sand away - the tires spun, I used the bucket to drag the sand back - the tires spun. Thank god for the locking rear wheels or I would still be out there spinning the tires. I am sure some of my problems will be solved with practice and experience but there seems to be a major issue.

Please help! My wife is going to kill me if this thing won't do what I told her it would.

Thanks!

/ Help! Stuck In The Sand #2  
I certainly couldn't say for sure without seeing what you have and what you're doing, but it sounds to me like you're trying to take too big a bite at a time; i.e., need to dig in very shallow with the bucket, then go forward with the lip just below the surface until you fill the bucket, same with the blade; don't try to go too deep all at once, and go with a very light touch on the acceleration instead of charging into things (do you have the manual transmission instead of HST?). In other words, just need a little practice, and go at it slow and easy. I'll bet most of us have been there./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif I know I did a lot of wheel spinning when I first got my B7100.

/ Help! Stuck In The Sand #3  
Is it dry sand or wet sand. Could make a big difference.

Egon

/ Help! Stuck In The Sand
The sand is dry where I am working.

/ Help! Stuck In The Sand #5  
From past experience I strongly agree with Bird's recommendation. A less "aggressive load" & easy on the power limits spinning. One other factor may be the weight of your tractor. I was debating on purchasing a TC21D vs TC25D (went with the TC25D). The one thing the dealer strongly suggested with either the 18 or 21 Boomer was wheel weights. His reasons: better traction and improved stability.

/ Help! Stuck In The Sand #6  
They use a medium sized JD tractor to rake the beach at Stone Harbor NJ. It has 4WD and ag tires. They drag an 8 or 10 foot landscape rake. They move at a steady pace. It would be interesting to see if the ag tires would make the difference. I wonder if there is a driving style that reduces tire spin?

Chris

/ Help! Stuck In The Sand #7  
How about lowering the air pressure in your tires. This will create a larger surface area with less pounds per square inch exerted on the sand, thus allowing your tractor to stay on top. Your dealer should be able to advise you on how much is safe.

/ Help! Stuck In The Sand #8  
i think one of the problems is for some applications u may have a tad to much bucket for the tractor. try going a little lighter on the controls, and make sure u have some weight on th rear. u se low gear, and go slow. you will get it with practice.

/ Help! Stuck In The Sand #9  
If it's dry sand good luck! Maybe wait till it rains and you can work with wet sand. There just may be a world of difference.

Egon