Stone grabbing/lifting gadget

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #1  

hayden

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 cab + FEL, KX121, KX080
I'm looking for a gadget that I can use to grab/lift rocks for building/repairing stone walls. I'm thinking of something like a log grapple that attaches to a lifting chain and grabs the stone/rock being lifted. The lifting force applies side pressure to grab the item in question. I've seen such things for lifting and placing Jersey barriers along roads. It's basically a sissor-like thing with rubber pads and as you lift it the sissor grips the sides of the barrier and you can lift it. I want to hang this hypothetical grabber from my new illegal backhoe craining hooks.

Anyone seen such a thing?

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #2  
Why don't you put a thumb on your hoe instead?

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #3  
Dozernut, that is not a very nice way to refer to Hayden's significant other, and I bet that she already has two thumbs/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. I also wonder if she is strong enough to lift large stones all day long./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #4  
Sorry hayden/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif, why don't you put a big pair of pliers on your digger! Is this better rf33? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget
You guys are bad.

I've considered a thumb, both hydraulic and passive, and want to pursue this grapple concept for a while. My expectation is that a grapple will be less expensive and usable from the front loader as well as the BH. I like the idea of being able to grapple a stone from the front loader, transport it, then place it.

Peter

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #6  
hayden,

cad plans has grappler device plans for a backhoe and a skidd steer attachment. look them up at:http://www.cadplans.com/cadtrac.htm
the stuff is sturdy and the plans are very well done, you can even buy the pre cut material from them. all you have to do is assemble (screw, weld) the parts of the kit together.

he was the final runner up with his articulated machine before i went and bought a power trac 425.
good luck

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #7  
I know exactly what you're talking about. It is a scisser (sp?) type action, as you pull up on it, the jaws pull together to grip what you are lifting. I'm not sure how well this would work out, you would have to have your stones sitting on thier edge for it to pick the stones up. I'm not sure where to find one, but I would start looking at Northern Tools, or Harbor Freight, it seems to me that I remember a simular type thing for picking up 55 gallon drums.

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #8  
4yw99.jpg

at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611777263>Grainger gravity drum lift</A>. Pretty pricey at Grainger, but could be reproduced at a lower price. Just don't stand under it while lifting.

/ Stone grabbing/lifting gadget #10  
Peter, I was thinking of starting a post on this very topic and for the same reason: picking up and transporting rocks from all over my property (and neighbor's) to make a stone wall.

I was wondering how the 4n1 bucket would be for this, and how the 4n1 would compare to a backhoe with thumb. I'd probably be reluctant to invest in a highly specialized device that has little other use.

Would like to hear from the 4n1 crowd.