Ballast Tractor Ballast

/ Tractor Ballast #1  

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3520
I have a 3520 with a 300x Loader. I want to build to build my own ballast box. Now I am using a carryall with 2 55 gallon barrels of water on it. It works pretty well but I want to make something a little easier to use. I have plastic barrels that I want to fill with concrete. My question is should I use the 42 or the 55 gallon barrels. I will probably put 3 or 4 2" PVC pipes in it to hold shovels,rakes,etc. I also want to put maybe 1 or 2 4" PVC pipes for larger items. I am clearing off behind loggers piling brush and cutting firewood. I'm wondering if the smaller barrel will be heavy enough with the voids where the pipes are in it. Also if the 55 gallon barrel would be too heavy. I will probably put a 2" receiver in it to pull a trailer or to hook a chain to. I want enough ballast but I don't want to carry more than I need to. I don't have the tires filled because I use the tractor to mow 3 acres of lawn. Any suggestions appreciated because once the concrete is poured I'll have a ballast box or a big lawn ornament.

/ Tractor Ballast #2  
What's your target weight? I made one out of a 55 gallon drum, full of concrete. I estimate the weight at 1100lbs. I didn't add any pipes like you mentioned, but if I was doing it again I would add several. You'll have a lighter ballast, but you can always fill a couple of the tube holes with concrete after trying it out.

/ Tractor Ballast #3  
Go with the larger bucket due to the voide you are adding.. and the reciever..

soundguy

/ Tractor Ballast #4  
A 55 gallon barrel has approx. 7.5 cu feet of space and normal weight concrete weighs 150 pounds per cubic foot. That 1102 pounds minus your take outs for the pipe. So figure your total volume of pipe inserts in cubic feet and multipy by 150 to get the deductible. I would think one drum would be as much weight as you needed including the cut outs. Someone on this forum has done this to include casting in the lift points and even a top link to stop the swinging. One guy just set the lift pins about 3/4 toward the top and said it didnt swing much. Others went ahead and put the lift point about center and cast in the top link attachment. Do a search and you should find the link.

/ Tractor Ballast
I was shooting for a target weight of 800 pounds. When I use 2 barrels of water on my carryall I figure I am hauling about 800 pounds of water. It works pretty good but is not as stable as I would like. The water has to be emptied and it ties up my carryall as well. Even when they are tied down I sometimes feel them moving around. Since I don't want to load the tires to keep the lawn damage down this seems like a good idea. I cut the holes out for the upper and lower links and the hole for the receiver. So far I have 3 2'PVC pipes installed and I am thinking about a fourth. I don't know If I have a need for a 4' pipe but it will probably come to me after the concrete sets up Now I need an idea about how many 80 pound bags of concrete I will need. I haven't done this kind of math since high school and I don't like to think how long ago that's been. I may have to take my shoes off and find a sharp pencil.

/ Tractor Ballast #7  
Lets see the barrel will hold about 7.5 cubic feet at 150 per cubic foot. A 80 lb sack of concrete seems to equate to about 1/2 cubic foot. 2 ea 2 " pipes are only going to take out about .216 cubic feet or about 1/2 bag of concrete. For all intents, your embeds arent going to remove a lot of concrete. To get 800 pounds you would need 5.3 cubic feet or about 10 bags of dry mix should do it.
By the way, your barrel is not going to be but about 3/4 full with 800 pounds so adjust your attachment point accordingly. You could use the remaining top portion to carry small tool or rope or something similar in if you werent inclined to cut it off.

/ Tractor Ballast
I got my barrel filled with 10- 80 pound bags of concrete. I decided to put my conduits on the outside so they would not take up room inside. I am waiting for the concrete to cure so I can try it out. How long do you think I should wait before I try it. I put the receiver in and I think it will work great. It has about 6 to 8" of space at the an I think it will come handy to store small items. I picked up lots of good ideas from this site. I only wish I had more time to post and get good information. Thanks

/ Tractor Ballast #9  
At least let it green cure before use.. and I wouldn't load test the reciever for a month..

soundguy