Western Owner/Operators

/ Western Owner/Operators #21  
Yes it is odd to talk about retirement property at the ripe old age of 37, but being at the tail end of the Baby Boomers, and living in an area with extra disposable income (Microsoft, etc.) land is selling quickly. I own just under 20 acres between Blaine and Lynden. It has a great view of Mount Baker, excellent location and my family is close by. My plans are to build a shop and keep the tractor in it, I am clearing some trees and getting the property set just the way I want it, so when it is time to build, the landscaping will be mature enough to enjoy.

I am very fortunate with Kubota and NH Dealers in Everett and two more in Lynden/Mt. Vernon. All 4 dealers seem to be excellent, based on the discussions I have had with them so far. My biggest struggle will be to actually decide which brand/tractor to buy. I am also going to check out the Cub Cadet. Comparing features, all are close enough for my needs, so I am going to try renting each and see which one I like best. Actually the process is kind of fun, I am anxious to get a tractor, but have the patience and time to do lots of reading and hands on testing. This will be a long term investment and it's hard to make the decision without trying them.

Nice to here from people so close by, go Big "B".

/ Western Owner/Operators #22  
My native soil is very good. I live right next to an old Army Corps of Engineers access road, so some of the bank run fill from that has spilled onto my property over the years, and its full of rocks. Other than that, the soil is great. I didn't have to bring in any topsoil for my lawn. My tractor is a Yanmar YM1401D, which is a grey market close cousin of the YM169D, which was sold in the US about 20 years ago. It is 17 engine hp, 4WD with a loader and box scraper. It doesn't have many of the convenience or safety features of the new orange, green or blue tractors, but it is quiet, extremely reliable, good on fuel and best of all I have only about $5K invested into it. I love it.

/ Western Owner/Operators #23  
Dreamin..... you will find that the Cub is competitively priced with the green, orange, and blue tractors. The 36-hp 7360SS is the largest they make. The 7000 series is mostly popular with lanscaping contractors. I have found it to be very reliable.

I bought mine slightly used. I was not happy with the price I was given for a new one. The dealer reminded me of a Lincoln-Mercury dealer I experienced years ago. He would not give us a price for a new car because he "didn't think we were serious about buy a car". I was very happy to drive over in our new Mercury Cougar and show it to him a week later.

Anyway, I was not in immediate need of the tractor. So after about 6 months of lurking on the net, I found one with only 90 hours at a John Deere dealer in Alabama. I saved many thousands even after paying to ship it 1200 miles. I have been very satisfied with the purchase.

Good luck....

/ Western Owner/Operators #24  
Wow, There are alot of tractor owners in Western Washington, I live at Glen Cove in Gig Harbor and use my Yanmar 2202D for just about everything I can think of.. Latly moving about 70 yards of dirt for retaining walls.. Now I have the walls poured and have to back fill all the dirt!! More seat time.... YES.. Dan

/ Western Owner/Operators #25  
Kodiak,

I am very near you neighborhood. I am located in Ravensdale (just south of Seattle near Enumclaw). Glad to have someone from the great NW here as well.

TD

I live in Kanaskat (well, Across the Street). Its very near Ravensdale, WA. Here to Represent ;)

/ Western Owner/Operators #26  
We used to live in Bellevue, Carnation, and Graham, Washington but now live in Western Montana where we have a small irrgated cattle ranch.
I'm pretty familiar with Monroe, Duval, North Bend, Snoqualmie, fall City, Ravensdale, Kanasket, Black Diamond, Auburn, Enumscratch, etc since I lived in that area for 37+ years and worked for a big airplane outfit (whose name I won't mention) when it could still produce and deliver a new airplane on time!.

/ Western Owner/Operators #27  
You do realize that this thread is ten years old.