Western Owner/Operators

/ Western Owner/Operators #1  

Kodiak

Platinum Member
Tractor
New holland TC29-9x3 Woods 1012 FEL, Woods, 7500 Backhoe / Kubota L345DT 4WD, Kub FEL, Kub Backhoe
I would like to hear from more owners living in the western United States. It appears that the eastern and middle U.S., are well represented. Remember that each and every geographical area has its own unique circumstances, that effect what and why we buy. As well as how they are operated.

/ Western Owner/Operators #2  
We are too busy using our tractors to protect our houses from the forst fires to write!!!

/ Western Owner/Operators #3  
And how do you use them for that? Mowing around the property? Discing a fire line? Using FEL to do something?

/ Western Owner/Operators #4  
Howdy, Russ!

There's a fair number of us here from Californy, which I believe qualifies as "west".
wink.gif

My own tractor property is in the Sierra foothills, and I think you can get a representative feel for my circumstances in my recent <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=projects&Number=130113&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post130113>Seemed Like Such A Simple Project</A> thread. Pictures included.
smile.gif

I'm using an L2500DT, my first and only tractor, and find that it's a very good size for my 42 acres. I'd like to move up to something with a tad more power, particularly a loader with big enough biceps to handle a 4-in-1 bucket, but I don't want any more physical size 'cuz I have a lot of trees, rocks 'n' such to maneuver around. So far, my budget is making the decision moot. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Western Owner/Operators
Thanks to those of you, who have replied.

RockyMtn1:
I've seen the fires on the nightly news, terrible just terrible. It will be along time before it gets dry enough around here, to worry about wild fires. Lately Ive been doing some french drains trying to get a portion of
the property to dry up.

Harv:
I've still got our old Kubota, an L345DT with FEL, and Backhoe. Twenty two years old and still going strong. Shipped it down here from Alaska two years ago. Where the first 12 years she was the only CUT on Kodiak Island. She has been worked hard, and paid for herself several times over. now its time to retire her to the restoration shop and some well deserved quality time. Currently I'm impatiently, and I do mean Impatiently awaiting the delivery of our (new) New Holland TC29, with a Woods 1012 loader and Woods 7500 backhoe.
And yes, I to am seriously looking at adding a 4/1 bucket
At present only have the 3 acres to deal with, but have been looking for an additional 12 to 15. As I would
like to start a small vineyard.

I would still enjoy hearing from others of you who live in the western U.S. As to what type of tractors you have, and some of the ways you utilize them.

Good luck to all of you and your tractors.

/ Western Owner/Operators #6  
Kodiak,

I am very near you neighborhood. I am located in Ravensdale (just south of Seattle near Enumclaw). Glad to have someone from the great NW here as well.

TD

/ Western Owner/Operators #7  
I'm probably even closer to you. I live in Auburn. How much property do you have up there in Ravensdale? It's pretty nice up there.

/ Western Owner/Operators #8  
HoseJockey,

You are very close to me indeed. I spend alot of time in Auburn. I have 5 acres - we built the house two years ago and it came with no landscaping much to my delight. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I'm not sure about your soil but mine is completely rocks - many of them bowling ball sizes. I have to this point dug 250 post holes by hand. I can't wait to get my PHD as I have many more to go. Hopefully it will still work in the rocky conditions.

What part of Auburn do you live? I "grew up" /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif in Kent.

/ Western Owner/Operators #9  
Auburn!?! We are neighbors. I'm probably a bit farther down the hill than you - the post office thinks I live in Lincoln, but the phone company thinks I live in Auburn. I'm on ten acres, which I have nearly finished mowing - and I'm not gonna water most of it, 'cause I don't want to to that more often than I have to /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif.

...Chris

/ Western Owner/Operators #10  
...except that on re-reading, it looks like you guys aren't in California. But we're still West Coasters.

And Russ, I have a B7300 that I bought new about five years ago. I probably should have gotten one a bit larger, but I've loaded mine up with FEL, blade, brush hog, and even have a backhoe for it. Great tractor, I use it mostly for mowing and putting in landscaping.

...Chris