The art of plowing

/ The art of plowing #71  
Rob, I don't know what you'd call that thing but it looks cool and it looks perfect for the job. I guess that it loosens things up enough to allow the disk to really dig in well. When I first started doing food plots I just used the rippers on my boxblade and it did a pretty good job. But grass and weeds was still a problem.

OK this is perfect...I call it a contraption because...

The plows are simple chisels
But it isn't spring loaded so it will tend to stay in the gound instead of spring out, so more of a subsoiler
the 4" tube is my unility bar version 1.0
The wild things on top are actually wheel guided/floating cultivators/sweepers. They are upside down. the 2 holes would be where the wheel mounted, above that is the mount for the chisel.

Or look at Shirleys husband pic and see what they were before. I simply use them as weights, they slide right off the bar (actually for row adjustment width)...as you can see in shirleys picture. Good picture to see.

Another pic of mine and they make a good rake...then to break up the ground for a new plot.

Attachments

• food-plot (4).JPG
    food-plot (4).JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 251
  • food-plot (5).JPG
    food-plot (5).JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 368
  • food-plot (6).JPG
    food-plot (6).JPG
    206 KB · Views: 173
  • food-plot (8).JPG
    food-plot (8).JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 167
   / The art of plowing #72  
Carlos, on the equipment i was referring to, I should have mentioned that the shovels can be changed and depth altered so the machinery can preform more than just one operation. :D

A picture a similar type of equipment is attached. Size is irrelevant, its the use and functions that are important.:D

Attachments

• chisel plow.JPG
    chisel plow.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 229
   / The art of plowing #73  
I'd like to see a closer picture of that flip over plow. That would be so handy on my small food plots (for wildlife) but I don't think I've ever seen a two bottom one that flips here in the US.

There are lot's of them. Most of the ones I found are cat 2 with 16inch bottoms but I found and bought a Ford 2 bottom 14 inch. It's in my Signature.
I'm gonna take some pics and post them.

I sent a link to a massey 55 to Farmswithjunk.

The place I bought mine from had 2 John Deere 2 bottom rollover plows

PS edit,
Ok I finished reading the rest of the thread.
The Massey 55 In Colorado is the one I sent to Farmswithjunk it is privately owned and is on consignment. I was told the owner 'might' negotiate. I wanted it but it's too big, (I think) and too expensive.

The John Deere is in South Dakota and is at the same dealer where I bought my Ford.
He had two last time I looked.

Last edited:
   / The art of plowing
Here in portugal people are starting to use more and more these disc plows !! (See Picture)

I don't have one, but people say they do a pretty good job too !!

Their main advantage is their cheaper than a regular plow and, they need less HP !!

Greets Carlos Silva

Attachments

• charrua_discos.jpg
    charrua_discos.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 433
   / The art of plowing #75  
Carlos, A disk plough as shown[ we called them tillers] were very common in the area I grew up in. They went to about 12 feet. Almost all were of the pull type. In the early 70's when tractor horse power significantly increase they started disappearing and don't seem to be use anymore.:D

/ The art of plowing #76  
Carlos I use a 2 bottom disc plow like your picture but its a one way plow. And I also have one I use that mounts in the middle of my offset Farmall. They work wonders in new ground arourn large roots and stumps, or in fields with alor of crop residue. That green implement is what we southerners depending on what part of Mississippi we are in is reffered to as a Semi rigid cultivator we call it a field cultivator. They are set up for 1 or 2 rows mostly. Sometimes in a really weedy feild before oats go in they take and line all the feet up and use it as a weeder to gather weeds before planting.