The art of plowing

/ The art of plowing #1  

Carlos_Silva

Tractor
Kubota L185 + Kubota L2900 + Ferrari system 26 Tractor
No words just pictures,

Thought I'd show you guys how I am getting allong with plowing !

Post your comments !!

Greets Carlos Silva !

Attachments

• Imagem(201).jpg
    Imagem(201).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 815
  • Imagem(202).jpg
    Imagem(202).jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Imagem(204).jpg
    Imagem(204).jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
   / The art of plowing #2  
VEry nice. I like the tractor and the flip plow. The soil looks like dry clay--where are you located?

/ The art of plowing #3  
i'm far from an expert but it looks pretty good!

one comment: your plows are actually backwards to mine - the moldboard turns to the left instead of to the right. i had to think about it for a minute, but it looks like you are doing it right only a mirror image of how i do it (my right wheels are in the previously dug furrows, your lefts are).

one thing i do notice is that your plow rig seems to be level with the tractor. i have been taught that when the tractor is in the furrow on one side, the plows should be level with the ground making them actually lean to the opposite side when the tractor is level. you might experiment with this if its possible on your 3pt to see if you can get a better pair of furrows. right now it looks to me as if your right plowshare is not digging as deep as the left since the whole unit leans with the tractor.

just a thought - others may disagree.... ;-)

wish my garden was that big! no wait, i don't. too much work in july!

amp

/ The art of plowing
I am located in Portugal,

The Tractor is a Kubota L2900,

Thanks for the tip on levelling the plow when in the furrow, I will be experimenting with that soon !

Greets Carlos Silva

/ The art of plowing #5  
Wow, 29 HP with a double plow. I used my 30HP machine and it took work to use a big single bottom plow. It looks like your ground is very dry and was barren. When I plowed I was flooping over a big blanket of sod so the soil did not get torn up like yours looks.

I also agree that the plows should be adjusted to cut level when your tractor is in the furrow. I actually set up some blocks on a concrete surface and elevated the high side (left in the states) by the plow depth and then adjusted the plows to be flat and level front to back as well.

/ The art of plowing
The kubota L2900 actually has 32 HP, and it pulls this 2x12" plow with ease !!

It has embarrased many european tractor brands here in Portugal that say their models have 35 HP ! :)

My old kubota L185 pulls a single furrow 12" Plow !

Greets Carlos Silva

Last edited:
   / The art of plowing #7  
My grandfather used to set up his plow by driving his rear wheel on to a
2" x 4" and setting the plow level to the ground. I don't know what that would be in metric. :)

/ The art of plowing #8  
your plows are actually backwards to mine - the moldboard turns to the left instead of to the right. i had to think about it for a minute, but it looks like you are doing it right only a mirror image of how i do it (my right wheels are in the previously dug furrows, your lefts are).
amp

The reason it is backwards is that it is a rollover plow. When he rolls it over and starts comming back it will be on the right side.

/ The art of plowing #9  
Carlos:

Thanks for the pictures. Will you next harrow to break up the clods and smooth the surface? What will you plant?

That is pretty country, with the rolling hills. Is it typical of your rural areas?

We would all like to know more about what you are doing.

/ The art of plowing #10  
Great pictures Carlos, please keep the pictures coming with updates. I believe we would all like to see the progression and transformation of your property.