Backhoe 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #11  
You're going to run out of traction before power (I have R-4s). I've seen posts re. the addition of 20-25% effective traction with FWD (some confuse with power - but it's traction first - power without traction means ZIP). Now, the 20-25% is a high estimate, in my opinion. You can lock (posi-traction you call it - I would differ - it's locking the rear differential on most tractors - don't even think about turning when your rear wheels are locked). Anyhow, with the rear differential, with much larger tires, locked, how much you achieve by the non-locking addition of the front wheels (which means the front wheel with the better traction, not both wheels) is a question I haven't seen answered with data. That said, I paid the extra for FWD, and it's saved my bacon on occasion. I don't use FWD for most work, but when you need it, say with a loaded FEL (and, hence, lots of weight on the front wheels), it sure is handy. So, if you can afford it - FWD, and if not, OK, you'll still enjoy your tractor, a lot, as we all do.

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #12  
Well if nobody else is going to say something, then I must You stated your wanting to get a backhoe. Well for backhoe work with a compact tractor, 4WD is almost a must. With a compact you'll find yourself more often than not digging in a tight area. And you'll find yourself trying to extract yourself, back acrross your spoil piles or having to cross your trench. Sometimes just digging will saturate the ground around you, after you have exposed the water table. As well as those 100's of other times where you would end up saying "darn it if I had only gotten the 4WD.
Remember once you get your compact tractor/loader/backhoe
neighbors you've never heard of will seek you out with some of the darnd'est little digging jobs you've ever heard of Take it from me, we bought our first Compact tractor/loader/backhoe, 22 years ago. Way before most people even new they existed. And yes it was 4WD.

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #13  
Your profile doesn't elaborate as to where you are located. If you live in an area with hilly terrain, 4WD is almost a necessity with a FEL. I can carry more uphill in my 66" bucket on my L3710DT than my uncle's much larger 2WD M4030SU with a 72" bucket simply because of the traction issue. He mainly uses his to move round bales and spent grain silage on level ground. In this type of use, his tractor can outperform mine. However, that type of thing is not what I typically do.

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #14  
manganos

With a front end loader I would seriously consider the 4wd. Also, you mentioned edging around a pond. I would imagine that the pond edge offers less than ideal traction. A visualization would help you understand the forces at work. If you put enough weight on the three point hitch the tractor would rotate around the rear axle and the front end would come off the ground. If you put enough weight on the front end loader the tractor would rotate around the front axle and the rear of the tractor would come off the ground. There always has to be some weight on the front end of the machine, otherwise you would be unable to steer. When you pick up a heavy load with the front end loader, you are loading the front wheels and unloading the rear wheels. With 4wd and a heavy load in the bucket the front wheels add substantially to the tractive force. I don't think that you will regret getting 4wd.

RonL

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #15  
I have a backhoe/loader that is probably just a tad larger/heavier than your situation.

It is 2-wheel drive and I "despise" that fact (to use a strong word) I think if it had 4wd, I could drive into a pile of dirt even better than I now can, my front end would weigh a bit more than now (kinda bouncy at times with big fat hoe on back) and (I'm on hills) at times, when I'm traversing hills, the front end will (currently) follow the laws of gravity more than it will follow the law of the steering wheel which is pointed a different way. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I've contemplated selling this machine and getting another exclusively and specifically because of preference for 4wd.

my .02
Richard

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #16  
The smaller a machine, the more critical it is to have 4WD with a FEL. When you add a backhoe, even something a large as a Case 580 is more effective with 4WD.

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #17  
Get the 4wd, you won't regret it. As others have said, better to have it even if seldom used than not to have it and get stuck and need it.

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe
Ok it is settled. I'm getting 4wd. I showed the wife the forum and now she knows I don't just want the 4wd to play around with. Thanks everyone!

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #19  
What everyone said AND on a down hill grade with poor traction (wet or loose surface) the 4wd when engaged will without a doubt have superior breaking ability. Even more importantly when you have a load in your fel.
I am courious what transmission you choose? With the Hydro and a backhoe it is not possible to advance or reverse the machine with the bhoe boom as the hydro acts as a break---------if the hydro can be nutralized to freewheel I do not know it would be fine. I prefer the mechanical with the bhoe but with a loader it's hard to beat a hydro. But a hydro uses a large percent of power. Ah the old ying-yang thing.

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #20  
Kodiak, I agree with you on the 4WD with a backhoe. I have the combination and can't imagine using the BH with 2WD. I also agree with you on the number of 'friends' you acquire with one. It's kind of like having a pick up in the city. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif