Backhoe 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #1  

manganos

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2516
I'm looking to move up a little bit from my Yanmar 1702. I was looking at a JD 4310, Kubuota?, and a NH 33 I believe. The question is do I need 4wd? I've got in on my Yanmar and I've only used it once when moving some snow around. If I ever feel like I need more traction I just press the posi-lock pedel and that is it. The new tractor will be used primarily for grading a 1/4 mile driveway, light FEL and backhoe work (edging my pond), and finish mowing. Any thoughts would be very helpful! Thanks

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #2  
With a FEL 4WD is very handy, Not a must but I wouldn't be without it.

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe
Just saw a picture of a Kubota BX22. Comes standard with FEL and BH. I'd add a MMM. The wife complains the the bush hog doesn't cut clean enough. I'm gonna go take a look at one tomorrow! I know it is only 21.x hp but then again I only have 11 acres and only 6 or so to mow. I'm thinking the 4wd is a must too.

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #4  
I imagine that far more tractor owners regret NOT having 4wd than regret having it!

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #5  
When you try to sell your new tractor at some point down the road it will be much more difficult to sell if it only has 2WD. The used 2WD tractors don't hold their value nearly as well and will probably end up cost more than the 4WD tractor in the long run.

The 4WD really helps when digging into a pile of dirt.

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #6  
I have had two wheel drive and I now have 4wd. I am able to lock the rear end, but it is easier to use 4wd. I mow on some slopes and the 4wd keeps the front end from washing out. On damp grass it will keep you from spinning rear wheels most of the time.

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #7  
You got so good advise here. 4WD is a must for me, and as stated it keeps the value of the tractor up for resale. The BX22 is a smaller frame tractor then what you were looking at. Everyone I've seen so far who bought one likes them. If you are going to do more then mowing and light work, you might want to look for something a little bigger. Just a little advise from someone who researched all tractor brand, and sizes. I bought a TC21D. Also looked very close at the B7500, and B2410. Good Luck. Kent

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #8  
Hi Manganos-

For the heck of it, I'll offer an argument in support of 2WD.

We live on a long dirt road and when the rain or snow come, we need 4WD to get into town. So all of our trucks are 4WD.

But this happens very rarely. If it's muddy out, I can put off any tractor work for a day or two. In fact, I avoid tractor work if the ground is wet at all so as to not tear up the grass (and invite in opportunistic weeds). Here in the TX panhandle, things dry out PDQ and stay dry for months at a time, so this is really not much of an issue.

The comments about resale are true. 2WD models don't get as much when you sell. But when you're buying, this is to your advantage! You might be able to buy a 30hp 2WD for the price of a 25hp 4WD! In the past, I've found myself wishing for more POWER more often than more traction.

That said, If I lived where we had lots of rain/snow, 4WD would be a good thing.

Best,

Mark

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #9  
You don't need 4WD most of the time. Usually, you can just step on the posi and out you go. HOWEVER, there will always be that one time where if you had JUST A LITTLE more traction...

/ 2wd or 4wd with FEL and backhoe #10  
I'm pretty new here, but my limited experience on the JD 4200 is that I run out of traction before I run out of power. I do have turf tires tho. I don't regret paying the extra for MFWD.

Bud