JD 950 rear lights

/ JD 950 rear lights #1  

hondo964

Tractor
JD 950 JD 5055e
I bought a used JD 950 which I have really been enjoying....a simple hearty tractor. Anyway, I have been bringing her up to speed and I am stumped by the rear red tail light. The shape of the socket seems to call for a double filament bulb (so I bought an 1157 and placed it in there) yet there is only 1 metal contact in the 2 "seats" where the bulb sits. I called a JD dealer and he opened a new tail light and confirmed that there was indeed only 1 metal contact in the 2 "seats" and he said there was a double filament bulb inside. (Before he opened it, he said there was only a single filament because there was a single wire coming out of the bottom of the fixture). I thought that maybe the second filament would glow when I put the bright head lights on or perhaps when I stepped on the brake. When I tested them, nothing made the second filament glow.

Any ideas on why a double filament that doesn't work?

Also, there was no flood/work light on the other fender and the JD dealer said he had a Tisco brand as well as JD for half the price.

Anybody have experience with Tisco?

/ JD 950 rear lights #2  
If there is only one contact in the base (center), then the single filament bulb is correct. Maybe (and only maybe), the double filament will light both for more light? I'd stick with the single.

And yes, the Tisco light will work fine. I bought the JD for my 790 and it looks exactly like what I could have gotten at TSC much cheaper.

Oh yeah, welcome to TBN!

/ JD 950 rear lights
Thanks, Rob. I'm just getting the hang of this site; I see I should have posted this under parts and repairs.

I struggled a bit to describe the situation; let me try again.

I am (pretty) sure that the rear light fixture calls for a double filament. As you know, the bottom sides of the double filament light bulb has 2 metal nipples and they are configured a specific way on a double filament bulb (one side low and on one side high) and this configuration fits my tail lamp. Furthermore, the JD dealer said the bulb in the new fixture was double filament. What I can't figure out is why both filaments won't light - more specifically, why it seems it is set up on a JD 950 to only light up 1 filament.

Perhaps the rear light is a general light that fits multiple tractor models - some of which are wired for the double filament to light....(less cost...more profit).

So there is not a single contact point in the center of the bottom of the fixture. There are 2 recepticles (what I referred to earlier as "seats") for the 2 metal contacts on the bottom of the double filament bulb. However, only one of the recepticles has a metal contact seated in it. I had wondered if 1 metal contact fell out but the JD dealer tells me that the new fixture is set up the same way - only 1 metal piece in 1 of the recepticles/fixtures.

/ JD 950 rear lights #4  
Ah, I think I understand. Just to be sure, I'm picturing a standard, double filament bulb socket, but only one of the two terminals in the bottom is present/functional?

It that's the case, I'd say it's a simple case of cost savings. I guess if it works, it doesn't matter?

/ JD 950 rear lights
Yes; you are correct, Rob - on both counts.

I was just trying to figure out if I was missing something.