Mesquite Thorns: Slime vs. Ultraseal

/ Mesquite Thorns: Slime vs. Ultraseal
Why is it that most of the "recipes" for mesquite control have you mix BOTH remedy and reclaim (at $100/gallon for each)? Why cant you JUST spray reclaim since its advertised to be the best anti-mesquite herbicide available?

Why can't you shred or chainsaw mesquite then spray the cut tops/stumps with only one kind of herbicide? That seems to work with other types of brush, why not mesquite?

/ Mesquite Thorns: Slime vs. Ultraseal #22  
You can use just one. It is usually just to make sure that you get all of the wood like plants that you mix remedy and reclaim. Unless you have an applicators license you can only get Reclaim. Remedy does not list mequite but goes after other broadleaf pasture plants that Remedy misses. If you add Tardon you can go after cactus as well.

/ Mesquite Thorns: Slime vs. Ultraseal
The Tractor Supply stores in Cedar Park, Bastrop and Lockhart all carry both Remedy and Reclaim on the shelf, at $100/gallon for each. So far as I can tell, no license required.

/ Mesquite Thorns: Slime vs. Ultraseal #24  
Another option for your tires would be to have them foam filled. It's about 3 times the cost of sealer, but it will last the life of the tire. Check a tire shop that does tractor tires they should provide this service.

Dave

/ Mesquite Thorns: Slime vs. Ultraseal #25  
PERDURABO,

I forgot to mention that maybe if you contact your USDA agent, you might be able to get federal assistance money to help reclaim hay production. My wife's uncle got it for 30 acres and I think they paid about 1/2 or more of the costs including dozer work.

/ Mesquite Thorns: Slime vs. Ultraseal #26  
Welcome to TBN, For God and Texas, you are close to my world, I'm just North of Georgetown. Your experience matches mine regarding mesquite eradication... and, I've almost completely eradicated mine after quite a few years of spraying individual plants that come up from seeds each year.

OP, the answer to your question about cutting mesquite and then covering the stumps is as follows:

Mesquite is a legume... and it has buds that run along the roots for quite a ways underground... and the roots not only go down, but sprangle out underground... unless you completely soak the ground to a depth of about 1 foot and out beyond the drip line of the plant, you will not get all these buds via the cut and then spray approach. Unless you get EVERY one of the buds, the plant will regrow. This approach is neither effective or cost effective.

Either reclaim or remedy, properly applied, singly or in combination, will kill the plant...80 to 95% of the plants anyway....the herbicide enters the plant via the leaves (and then to the roots) or the stem (then the roots) depending on the herbicide. New plants will continue to sprout from seeds already in the ground for at least 15 years .

The point is, mesquite is NOT like other woody plants you have experience with... and, you simply are doomed to failure unless you follow the best recommendations of those who have studied it and have gained years of experience fighting it.

/ Mesquite Thorns: Slime vs. Ultraseal #27  
Something I think was interesting;

I had a mesquite stump that I cut flush with the ground in 02 that is in my ft. yard, this year it decided it wanted to start growing again, the stump had been covered with dirt all these years. I fixed it for good with my BH.

Mesquite is very tenacious tree that does very well in the grill.

/ Mesquite Thorns: Slime vs. Ultraseal #28  
You can buy the Reclaim and Remedy over the counter. The Tardon requires an applicators license.

I use the Slime on my fronts, have had pretty good luck with it.

/ Mesquite Thorns: Slime vs. Ultraseal #29  
Boy am I glad I found this site. I was planning to just cut and then rip out the mesquites, but it sounds like it won't be that easy. So my question is if I use one of the products recommended will it prevent me from growing anything where I applied the herbicide?

/ Mesquite Thorns: Slime vs. Ultraseal #30  
You will be extremely pleased if you use either Reclaim or Remedy. They are both extremely specific to Mesquite. My personal experience is that NOTHING else is significantly harmed by these chemicals.

Grass continues to grow or increase in the vicinity of where it is used.

I've had several different kinds of brush and/or vines intertwined with a mesquite bush. Impossible to not get chemical on both the mesquite and the other plants. 1 year later, vines and other brush is growing fine... and there is a dead mesquite bush in the center of the clump.

In order of my perceived impact on non mesquite:
Reclaim - absolutely no impact
Remedy - extremely slight inconsequential impact.

Check out the Brushbusters brochures from Texas A&M for application details, etc. PM me if you have specific questions.