Turf or Bar?

/ Turf or Bar? #1  

jnjpream

Gold Member
Tractor
BX22
I managed to pick up a 60" MM Mower for my BX22 so I could use it to mow the lawn as I continue to landscape the rest of the property. The tractor currently has bar tires on it and I'm afraid that it will tear up the new grass.

Has anybody tried to use bar tires while cutting the lawn, and what was the result? The flip side of this is if I buy turf tires, will I have trouble plowing snow, dragging a rake, or using the loader, etc? How much traction does one lose when switching from bar to turf tires?

And if I need turf tires, where is the best place to buy a set of rims (and tires for that matter) so I don't have to keep pulling the rubber on/off of one set of rims?

Thanks.
Jeff

/ Turf or Bar? #2  
I had filled bar tires on my old jd4100. It did fine for mowing accept if the ground was real wet, but I think you'd have that with turfs as well. Keep it out of 4wd on the turns and you'll be fine. I went with turfs on my current 3720 in hopes that they will be better in the snow(haven't tried them yet). The bars seemed to be real good at polishing the snow into strips of ice. Just my .02. You'll get a lot of posts on this. As far as where to get them I'd start at your local dealer to get a base price. Then seach the internet and the like. Good luck.

/ Turf or Bar? #3  
I managed to pick up a 60" MM Mower for my BX22 so I could use it to mow the lawn as I continue to landscape the rest of the property. The tractor currently has bar tires on it and I'm afraid that it will tear up the new grass.

Has anybody tried to use bar tires while cutting the lawn, and what was the result? The flip side of this is if I buy turf tires, will I have trouble plowing snow, dragging a rake, or using the loader, etc? How much traction does one lose when switching from bar to turf tires?

And if I need turf tires, where is the best place to buy a set of rims (and tires for that matter) so I don't have to keep pulling the rubber on/off of one set of rims?

Thanks.
Jeff
Save your self a hassle ;
You already have the best tires on your tractor.

/ Turf or Bar? #4  
If you would have used the search button, you would have found that there are already 147 threads on this subject. But hey, now there's 148. :cool:

/ Turf or Bar? #5  

Thanks.
Jeff

Are we talking aboout R1 Ag tires, or R4? You can get all you need here.

Titan | America's Best Since 1898

We have a set of their turfs, and love them. Will be looking for R1 for the spring garden work.

/ Turf or Bar? #6  
Being the size tire and tractor you have I would not worry about getting turfs. They should not hurt or lawn unless it is really wet and even then turfs would hurt the lawn also. If you have a larger tractor with large diameter tires I would reccommend turfs or industrial tires becuase the lugs on the larger tires are alot deeper. In my opinion.

/ Turf or Bar? #7  
I had a JD 214 garden tractor that I mowed 1 acer for 23 years. I now have a JD 2210 with the R4,s If they were now available I would have gotten the ag tires.

/ Turf or Bar? #8  
I mow with bars. One thing I do is lower the air pressure to give the tire more contact area and spread the weight.
Bill

/ Turf or Bar? #9  
I mowed for a year with ag tires (R1) on my BX2200 without damage to the lawn.:)