Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tractor
    TC 40D w/ SuperSteer

Default Re: PTO Shaft

<font color=blue>Lunch hour? LUNCH HOUR?? I'm sorry, but we eat during our lunch hour. We're not going to waste that important time. We talk about this, that, and everything else here on TBN during working hours! What do you think we are, crazy?? </font color=blue>

Ain't that the truth. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I just hope nobody I work with ever starts reading TBN. I should've picked a more discrete username. But now that I'm Golden, I'm not changing it. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

Roy,

<font color=blue>"It's probably not near as "unstable" as you think."</font color=blue>

Yes I agree which is exactly why I put it in quotes. I was taking my cursory tractor runs around even on slight slopes I felt sort of tippy. I'm sure this is clearly a lack of use and knowledge problem.

I have owned several street motorcycles and seem to recall that this also took some getting used to.

Today I'm getting off work early to go play around. I have this contracption that is combination landscape rake with ripper shanks in front of it. (no box). Looks fairly archaic but I'm thinking it might be a great tool for collecting some of the tons of rocks that I have.

Tractor
    B2910

"locked or should I say rusted in the position it now holds"

Remember grease is your friend! Grease the shaft and splines it should never rust!
    Always keep the PTO shaft on your tractor well coated with grease, it's steel and will rust if its not well maintained. This can make it very difficult installing and removing PTO implements.

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

Rover,

Thanks for the tip. As soon as I'm able to get that pin unstuck I'll grease the heck out of it.

Tractor
    B2910

TD,
    If its really stuck, I highly recommend PB Blaster. Its a penetrating oil. Makes WD40 look like locktight.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pbblaster.com/>http://www.pbblaster.com/</A>

I found it at a NAPA store.

Rover

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7360SS & MF1100

Default PB!

I must second that! PB Blaster is amazing. Give it some time to soak in and even a few soakings for the really tough rust. I have had such good results with it that I gave a can to every one of my gearhead friends a few years ago for X-mas...

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

Rover,

Thanks, I will definitely try the PB Blaster. It is very stuck - so this might be just what the doctor ordered. Thanks again.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota l3010hst/ford 601 workhorse

Also you might get a rag and soak it in coca-cola. let the rag sit and work it's way into the crevices. The mechanic down the road has a bucket full of cola that he uses to break bolts loose on the dozers. also I agree everyone should have a can or two of PB Blaster around

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12