PTO Shaft

/ PTO Shaft #1  

tdenny

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 855 4WD, HST
This is going to sound like a really silly question but I am an admitted tractor rookie so I'll ask the question anyway. I just bought my JD 855 and it came with a couple of attachments - brush hog, and tiller. I haven't gotten much seat time yet but I do understand the basics.

The question is this:

When I attach the brush hog - the 3PH is no problem and I see where the PTO shaft goes. What keeps the PTO shaft on attached to the tractor. I haven't actually tried sliding the shaft on yet but I don't see anything that would keep it seated in place. Any thoughts - go easy on me.

/ PTO Shaft #2  
Hey, no such thing as a bad question right! If you look at your PTO shaft coming out of your tractor you'll see the splines running along it's length and a groove all the way around it. On the implement shaft there will be some feature that will latch on to that groove. They vary, but I've seen push buttons and sliding collars on the yoke. Whatever the case, there will be something to grab that groove. Before you hook it up, take a look so you won't be frustrated when it comes time to remove it /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ PTO Shaft
Rob,

I did in fact, see such an item on my brush hog but it seemed to be locked or should I say rusted in the position it now holds. I was assuming it was intended just for the purpose you mentioned. I have sprayed it and oiled it etc, so I am sure it will do the trick with a little TLC.

Thanks - I was pretty sure that was its intended purpose. Now I just have to start hoggin. Can't wait.

/ PTO Shaft #4  
I haven't actually tried sliding the shaft on yet but I don't see anything that would keep it seated in place. Any thoughts - go easy on me.

If you bought the machine locally, get the previous owner or dealer to explain it to you. If you didn't buy it locally, head for your local Deere dealer and ask them. You're a potential customer for parts, or a tractor (down the road). I'm sure they'll help you out.
The Eurocardan PTO shaft I have has a pin that snaps into the groove on the tractor PTO. The locking pin is perpendicular to the implement PTO and is a few inches from the end of the shaft. The pin must be depressed to remove the implement PTO shaft

That 855 is a nice machine. A friend has one I got to try out recently. Just don't care for the headlamp placement if you have a FEL.
Still prefer my gear tranny though...

By the way, while you're reading TBN, do some searches on PTO's and <font color=red>SAFETY!!!</font color=red>

/ PTO Shaft #5  
<font color=blue>Still prefer my gear tranny though</font color=blue>

Yeah Roy! Me too, though I'm certainly not trying to start the preverbial GST/HST battle here.

In your signature pic, your tractor looks a lot like my 790. Are they related? How is the 855 different?

Good advice on PTO safety, thanks for the reminder /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ PTO Shaft #6  
The only thing I would add is that once you slide the PTO coupling onto the PTO shaft stub, you should hear/feel a click as it goes on over that groove in the PTO stub. ALWAYS pull back on the PTO shaft once you think it is on. That way you are sure that the coupling is completely seated locked and safe. Enjoy....

/ PTO Shaft #7  
"In your signature pic, your tractor looks a lot like my 790. Are they related? How is the 855 different? "

Rob, I e-mailed to your AOL address...

/ PTO Shaft
Roy, thanks for the tip. I have been doing alot of reading about safety on this forum and in books. I was actually surprised how "unstable" the tractor actually is, even with the tires already loaded with ballast.

So far I really like the 855 - I was just a couple of days away from buying a Brand new Kubota B7500 gear drive. I wasn't really looking for a HST but it kind of just fell in my lap. Although everything I read around here on the TBN forum suggests that HST is the way to go. When I was test driving mucho tractors they were all of the gear type and I didn't find that to be at all a problem. This is a great forum and I love spending my lunch hour reading what you guys have to say abour this, that, and everything else.

/ PTO Shaft #9  
<font color=blue>"This is a great forum and I love spending my lunch hour reading what you guys have to say abour this, that, and everything else."</font color=blue>

Lunch hour? LUNCH HOUR?? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I'm sorry, but we eat during our lunch hour. We're not going to waste that important time. We talk about this, that, and everything else here on TBN during working hours! What do you think we are, crazy?? /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ PTO Shaft #10  
<font color=red>"I was actually surprised how "unstable" the tractor actually is, even with the tires already loaded with ballast"</font color=red>

It's probably not near as "unstable" as you think.
A few degrees, when yr butt is 4' off the ground, feels like a lot!!! I get the same feeling.
After using a riding mower, it's quite a difference in feel.

Using the machine will make you feel much more confident...just don't get overconfident!!

It's like riding a motorcycle the first few times...know what I mean?

I do suggest you get a tiltmeter though. Those areas that feel so "tippy" are probably very slight grades.