Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor?

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #1  

mjdtexan

Silver Member
Tractor
Case IH 1140 (first tractor ever)
Hi, I am in the market locally (Houston-ish) for a tractor. I have found two that I am looking at and they look almost the same to me. One is a Ford 9N and the other is a Ford 8N. They both are pretty darned old but they both look good. They both run well (the internet ad says so anyway). One is $1500 and the other one is $1800. What are the differences? Anybody know? They both claim the PTO works. I really want a tractor with a front end loader but its not in the budget unless I can get one in the $4000 dollar range.

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #2  
They really are basically the same. Only major differences are a couple horsepower, 8n has 4 speed trans and 9n has 3 speed trans. 8n is newer than the 9n and has more hp. Newer 8n have side distributor older 8n's and 9n's had front distributor. Neither has live PTO which if you are looking to run a bush hog or tiller I would highly reccommend. .
I have run many Ford N series and they are just an all around good tractor for basic work. Parts are readily available.

Overall built ford tough:D

Neither own is priced to bad. Do they come with anything?

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor?
They really are basically the same. Only major differences are a couple horsepower, 8n has 4 speed trans and 9n has 3 speed trans.

Thank You.

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #4  
9N's (and the mostly identical 2N's) have a three speed transmission (not counting reverse).
8N's have a 4 speed transmission and a much better steering box. 8N's have position control incorporated in the three point hitch, 9N's only have 3pt draft control. With a 9N, essentially the hitch is all the way up or lowered as far as the implement will allow, nothing inbetween. 8N's have both brake pedals on the right, 9N's have the left brake pedal and clutch on the left. An 8N is better than a 9N in important ways.

9N's (and the mostly identical 2N's) have a three speed transmission (not counting reverse).
8N's have a 4 speed transmission and a much better steering box. 8N's have position control incorporated in the three point hitch, 9N's only have 3pt draft control. With a 9N, essentially the hitch is all the way up or lowered as far as the implement will allow, nothing inbetween. 8N's have both brake pedals on the right, 9N's have the left brake pedal and clutch on the left. An 8N is better than a 9N in important ways.

Oh, ok. That explains alot. Thanks for that.

Are those good price ranges for that tractor? Should I stay away from them on account of their ages? Are parts pretty available?

Thanks in advance for the answers to which are probably common knowledge to yall.

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #6  
I have owned both, 8 years ago I bought both tractors not running for $1700. I had to rebuild the pump on one and replace a piston and sleeve on the other.
If I had my choice I would buy the 8-N because having the left brake and the clutch on the same side is a PITA. You can't hit the brakes and clutch at the same time, only clutch and right brake.
Some had an after market 2 speed (high/low) added called a Sherman Trans, my 9-N had it and it gave me 6 speeds. It was a lever on the left side of the bellhousing in front of the peddles.
If you get one they sell a manual called I&T Manual FO-4 that covers all three, 8,9 and 2-N. It runs about $30. and Tractor Supply carries them. It has a chart so you can check the serial number and find out the year.
The good news is there is still a lot of repair parts at good prices available and they are simple to work on.
They do have good power for as old as they are, I did a lot of box blading and bushhogging (5' mower & box) and had no issues.
I bought a new Branson 35hp 4WD Diesel 3 years ago and sold both N's and now I'm in heaven! The N's were fun but crude.

PITA?

If you get one they sell a manual called I&T Manual FO-4 that covers all three, 8,9 and 2-N. It runs about $30. and Tractor Supply carries them

Hey, thanks for the Tractor Supply tip.

You got me on the PITA thing though

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #8  
PITA-Pain In The *****

Have an 8n and it's a very hardy little machine that does have improvements over the earlier 2n/9n models it replaced.

$1500 or $1800 are right in the ballpark and if they're in really good condition (need nothing, look decent, fire right up, etc) then that's a bargain considering how much you can get done with one.

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #9  
The 51-52 8n's are my favorite tractors of all time. These are the most refined form of the first true modern utility tractor. The 8n really is much better than the 9n/2n for reasons already explained and no tractor manufacted earlier or later has better parts availability. What sets the 51 and 52's apart from earlier models is the proofmeter (records hours and displays rpms) and the side distributer. Those prices are real good if the tractors are in good condition. Look for a tractor that has not been converted to 12 volts and still starts good cold on 6 volts to tell if the engine is in good condition. 12 volt conversions are usually a bandaid for weak compression.

/ Difference between a 8N tractor and a 9N tractor? #10  
PITA. He's trying to say pain in the butt.

edit: ya beat me to it:(.