Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD1010, JD B, TC40A (new)

Default Re: R1 or R4 suggestions for me

If you have an option of getting different widths of R1's go with the widest that will fit your tractor, having the ability to increase your rear wheel spacing is also an option that you should have available.

When I bought my tractor I upgraded to the widest R1's for the tractor and after I brought it home I increased my rear wheel spacing by about 4" overall and it works very well on uneven ground and hills. I also skid a fair amount of firewood out and in 2 years haven't seen any unreasonable wear on my tires. If you run your tractor in the woods like it is your tractor and not a rental then everything will be good using R1's.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQ View Post
    I am not certain of this. Yesterday the salesman told me they would not fit. Today he said they would be very close and would need to tight. Getting the chains tight against the tread would be very difficult (according to the salesman). I was think that I could get them tight using a high lift jack to cinch ends together.
    I bet you can move the fenders some if you really need to. R-1s bare have real good all around traction and you may find you dont need chains except on ice. R1s being taller offer a longer footprint and a better climb over ability on logs since they use a lower inflation pressure and tend to engulf the obstacle to a degree.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    NH TC29

I have R4's on my little TC29 and wish I didn't. Maybe they are more durable over time but I don't have my tires loaded and tend to play sit and spin a lot.

My R4's seem to load up with mud and then I have a racing slick!

Plus the R1's just look more manly!

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035 HST

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
    I have R4's on my little TC29 and wish I didn't. Maybe they are more durable over time but I don't have my tires loaded and tend to play sit and spin a lot.

I have the same problem, never had a chance to compare traction but I'm considering changing tires.

Tractor
    New Holland TC29DA, John Deere 455D

I have weighted 8 ply 11.2X24 rear and 6 ply 7X14 front R-1's on my "29". I have only had traction problems on ice and once when I drove into a mud hole . For going in "goo" R-1's are the tire of choice (for me). I will say that R-1's goo forward better than they goo in reverse (you do not have to ask me why I believe this ). Jay

PS: I really wish I had a higher ply rating for my front R-1's when doing serious dirt work with the FEL.
    NH TC29DA with 14LA and HD QA 60" bucket, weighted R-1's, FOPS, CCM M-160 (58") Tiller, Tebben MD 60" Rotary Cutter, Woods LR 108 (96") Landscape Rake, FEL cutting edge and tooth bar, Woods GB60 (60") Box Blade, Wallenstein BXM32

1995 John Deere 455 Diesel with 48" mower, MC 519 Cart with PowerVac

Sounds like you need to add some rear weight. You should have the weight on the rear axle equal to the weight the FEL can pick up to 1.5x that amount. Will make the machine more stable, give better traction etc. Also make it rut the yard more, so if you mow with it make it removable weight!

The R4 conversion to slicks is a well known problem. Chains help, but nothing is perfect.

jb

Tractor
    NH TC29

Quote Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
    Sounds like you need to add some rear weight. You should have the weight on the rear axle equal to the weight the FEL can pick up to 1.5x that amount. Will make the machine more stable, give better traction etc. Also make it rut the yard more, so if you mow with it make it removable weight!

The R4 conversion to slicks is a well known problem. Chains help, but nothing is perfect.

jb
    You are correct. I usually keep my hog on and that helps a little, I have been looking at the threads on building a ballast using a 50 gal drum. It's on the the to do list...thanks for the tip on how much it should weigh. I had been wondering about that.

Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE

The new tractor showed up Friday. Between opening day of hunting on Saturday and playing, um working, around the house I am glad I went with the R1's. I'll wait to see how they do this winter. Already, I am very impressed with the traction. Had to step on the rear diff a couple of times yesterday when I was in the woods. One of the front tires almost disappeared in the mud but it backed right out. Thanks to all of you that helped with the decision making...I had called the dealer back after saying R4s and they switched them over before delivery!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota 3030 Ford 2120

Ryan03, you have a hydraulic winch; your loader. Don't know how many times I've linked together chain, straps etc. to the loader then to a treee and pulled myself out.

Tractor
    JD 4720

I struggled with this Q before I bought mine. I went with R1's and don't regret it.

R1's are for real work.
    Turf's (R3's???) are for golf courses.
    R4's are for impressing the tractor groupies (haven't found any yet).

Now, one suggestion that someone made was that if mowing is a big part of your work that turfs with chains for winter might be a good choice.

Good call on the R1's!!

-Jer.
    ________
    2005 JD 4720, 400x loader with bucket, bale spear, pallet forks, Markham LD grapple, Markham snow blade, Schulte BX 74 snowblower, Caroni 1900 flail, 8' Aerway, 3rd SCV at rear, hydraulic toplink from CCM, LED lights front and back, added EH hydro circuits, big pile of 3pt implements.
    Wish List:
    PTO hydraulic pump to run custom fab'd hydraulic snowblower, broom, weed wacker, or PHD. Side link from MtnView Ranch....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast