R1 or R4 suggestions for me

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #62  
Well its true. I've never used them.....on the other hand, scroll up to that picture of my R1s turned into mudslicks and ask yourself....what would an R4 have done? I'd still be in that mudhole!

Well from looking at your picture, the mud was no deeper than the rubber of the back tires. I've been cleaning out my wildlife pond in the back yard yesterday and today. Had to hose mud off to the middle of the rear wheels. Gooey old pond mud. Now, I did have to dump the bucket load and use it to crab out. Wouldn't have had to do that with R1's (probably not anyway). But, the R4's did get me out. Made over 300 round trips thru that bog and no stucks. Did dump 20 buckets of sand on the slick spots...

jb

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #63  
Look closely. There is mud on the loader sub frame and the worst part of the hole was where the fronts are. Totally buried. And, this was not a 'stuck'situation, I worked in that type of mud for about 4 hours that day. And do all the time. There was no point in which the work was stopped due to traction issues. And it was far from the worst I've been in. The point is, if R1's are slick, what then R4's?

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #64  
N80,

I guess my confusion is in the fact that everything I do with the exception of operating in mud, I've always ran out of power before I've began to lose traction on my DX45. I operate on turf more than I do mud (just don't have anything I need to do often in the mud) and also use my loader close to max capacity so this is where the R4's work better for me. Now if I was doing a lot of choring for cattle, horses, etc where I was using the tractor everyday regardless of weather I can easily conceed the R1 advantage. Most of the time if its muddy, I don't have anything that I can do in the mud regardless of tires.

jk
Is the DX45 an HST or have you doubled its weight? Thats the only ways I can imagine running out of power before traction on any surface with any tires on a modern tractor.:confused:
larry

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #65  
Is the DX45 an HST or have you doubled its weight? Thats the only ways I can imagine running out of power before traction on any surface with any tires on a modern tractor.

It's a hydro. It also has a cab, loaded rear tires, add the FEL and heavy box blade or regular blade on the rear and it's a pretty heavy tractor. It would spin the tires in low/turtle until I loaded the rear tires. Now traction and power are pretty equally matched.

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #66  
Yep, even with R1s I can break traction on almost any surface. Even when a stump stops forward motion tires will usually spin before engine bogs to a stop. I've done it, but not often.

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #67  
Yep, even with R1s I can break traction on almost any surface. Even when a stump stops forward motion tires will usually spin before engine bogs to a stop.

Sounds like you might need an upgrade to R4's :D

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #68  
Sounds like you might need an upgrade to R4's :D

Nope, I need to upgrade to R2s:D

rtr_rcsg_tire.jpg

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #69  
When I was purchasing my tractor and the R1/R4 question came up, the answer was easy. Over the years, all the tractors that I have looked at and admired had R4's. So mine had too have R4's too. No logic, it was just something that I wanted.

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #70  
That's interesting. The only tractors I ever saw with R4s were TLBs. The majority of tractors I ever saw or was around were farm tractors with R1s. So maybe its a psychological/developmental sort of thing. Nature vs nurture and all that. We can't help it, its just our upbringing.:D