R1 or R4 suggestions for me

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #1  

CrazyQ

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE
I am signing papers today on a new tractor after much research and consideration. The only issue I have now before signing is the tires. I was going to get the R1 ags for better traction but was discouraged because of the limited space between the rear tires and fenders. I will be using chains at some point (probably this winter). There is more room for chains on the R4 industrial tires. I may need to compromise somewhere. Does anyone have suggestions on tires? I will be using the tractor mostly in my wood lot with a forestry winch. Other important applications for me include driveway grading and moving snow around. I understand that the R4s put more rubber to the ground but as I said, most of the time the tractor will be in the woods with some wet areas. help.

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #2  
For what you are wanting to do I would think R1s would be indispensible. Are you certain that the R1s will not allow chains?

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me
For what you are wanting to do I would think R1s would be indispensible. Are you certain that the R1s will not allow chains?

I am not certain of this. Yesterday the salesman told me they would not fit. Today he said they would be very close and would need to tight. Getting the chains tight against the tread would be very difficult (according to the salesman). I was think that I could get them tight using a high lift jack to cinch ends together. :confused:

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #4  
For woodlot, I prefer R4 due to the increased protection from rogue tree stumps, etc. Lower profile is good too. That said, I've got a pair of chains waiting for me ($343.00) at the chain store in case my R4s are inadequate for this winter...

Mike

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #5  
I am not certain of this. Yesterday the salesman told me they would not fit. Today he said they would be very close and would need to tight. Getting the chains tight against the tread would be very difficult (according to the salesman). I was think that I could get them tight using a high lift jack to cinch ends together. :confused:

Sounds like another salesman who just wants to push R4's. They do not hold a candle to R1's, longevity is their only benefit.

Sounds like another salesman who just wants to push R4's. They do not hold a candle to R1's, longevity is their only benefit.

By longevity do you mean tread where or puncture/slicing protection? I will not be traveling between locations on pavement or concrete...only gravel. I have had the same tires on my four wheeler (softer tread) for 7 years with minimal wear...and that went on pavement a few times. :D

For woodlot, I prefer R4 due to the increased protection from rogue tree stumps, etc. Lower profile is good too. That said, I've got a pair of chains waiting for me ($343.00) at the chain store in case my R4s are inadequate for this winter...

Mike

I forgot to mention that the majority of my property is on a hill with slopes commonly around 2H:1V. I will be going up light though and coming down loaded (and pulling logs too :D) just kidding.

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #8  
CrazyQ, go with the R1's.You will be sorry if you go with the R4's for you application.

Sincerely, Dirt

CrazyQ, go with the R1's.You will be sorry if you go with the R4's for you application.

Sincerely, Dirt

Thanks. I think I will email my dealer now to switch them over to R1s before delivery. Worst case is I spend a little time getting chains tight on the tires.

/ R1 or R4 suggestions for me #10  
You might want to try running chains on the fronts. There cheaper than the larger rear chains and that might be enough to get you around.

I'm glad to hear you are going with the R1's. They will way out perform the R4's in your application.

Sincerely, Dirt