BEST START PROCEDURE

/ BEST START PROCEDURE #1  

gsw911

HI GUYS/GALS...I have been a master auto tech. for 20 years and purchased my first kubota 4 years ago. Not having a lot of diesel experience, I was pleased to find a fuel stop control for emergency engine stop. I use the control for an unintended purpose....that is to allow the engine to turn over during a cold start until the oil pressure light go's out,then push in the stop valve while cranking......have noticed glow plug's arn't needed. The purpose is to help eleminate the engine wear prior to oil pressuration, usually takes about 10 to 15 sec. the excessive starter wear should be a small price to pay! Other tractors without a mechanical stop lever could
have a switch installed and used for the same purpose. All of my auto's have a hidden fuel pump relay ground switch which is used for cold start oil pressure and security. good luck george

/ BEST START PROCEDURE #2  
I haven't been up close and personal with all brands of tractors but,, I have three, all different brands, they all have a mechanical stop. To shut off the fuel. Just turning off the key will not stop them. My <font color=orange>Kioti</font color=orange> has a compression release used for cold starts and weak batteries. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ BEST START PROCEDURE #4  
Yanmar recommends cranking the engine with decompression pulled till the low oil light goes out and then starting the tractor.

Chris

/ BEST START PROCEDURE #5  
The mechanic I bought my kubota b7200hst recommended that I crank it over with the decompression knob pulled out till I see "white vapor" coming out of the exhaust, then push it in. I use the fuel cutoff knob to stop the engine. The fuel cutoff knob is about the only way to stop the critter as turning the key off doesn't.

/ BEST START PROCEDURE #6  
My dealer (B7500D) went the other way. He said be sure to use the glow plug for 3 seconds minimum to save on starter wear.

/ BEST START PROCEDURE #7  
Mine has a decompression lever, fuel cut-off, and start switch. The start switch, can only cut-off the electrical devices. The fuel cut-off is used to shut the engine down. Sounds similar to what others have. Do newer designed tractors (big 3) use a solinoid to activate the fuel cut-off, or use another means?

If they have, it is probably a means to simplify operation. The seperate controls would seem to give the most flexibility. You could engange the fuel cut-off and decompression, and run the starter to get oil pressure. Stop. Disengage fuel cut-off and decompression. Hit glow plugs and then start the engine.

/ BEST START PROCEDURE #8  
My NH 1920 has a fuel shutoff at the filter, and a solonoid stop at the injector pump. Havn't seen a decomp. Does have glow plugs. Starts faster than my truck does.. usually on one rotation... much different than my yanmar.. it took 6-15 seconds to start.

Soundguy

/ BEST START PROCEDURE #9  
Thanks for the info. In my above post, I should have said cut-off not shut-off. Your shut-off is probably just for the filter change.

I know there has been some recent technology for cold weather starting on diesels for cars. Wonder how much of that has trickled into tractors.