Cold Weather Starting

/ Cold Weather Starting #1  

hondo964

Tractor
JD 950 JD 5055e
I noticed on my new (used) JD 950 tractor that there are instructions for cold weather starting which basically involve the glow plug. It got me thinking....and I thought I'd ask since it wasn't addressed....

1. what's cold weather? As you know, cold weather to Texans is warm to Minnesotans. I suspect "cold weather" is below freezing.

2.Is there a certain temperature where it is good/effective to start using the block heater? Should I always use the block heater for cold weather starts.

3. the cold weather start procedure is to turn the key counter clockwise for a number of seconds and then start it. In cold weather, do you find that you have to move the throttle higher or keep it as it usually is in warm weather start.

4. at what point does diesel fuel begin to gel? (I put in a diesel fuel treatment to ward this off).

Thanks for the advice.

/ Cold Weather Starting #2  
Good questions. Yep, in Texas y'all call it cold when we are still running around in t shirts. Cold is when your beer freezes.... as you swallow it.

But seriously, Around 40-50F, you will probably want to give 5-10 seconds of glow plug. Untreated #2 will reach a cloud point around 45F. It can clog a filter shortly thereafter. Most places will treat, but the chemical costs $$$ so they treat to the expected low. They don't always guess the weather right. So, I always treat. I also add 1 oz of 2 cycle oil to 1 gal of fuel to improve lubricity. It's supposed to help the pump and injectors as the new diesel is much "drier" than the old. It does no known harm.

If you give 10 seconds of glow plug at 40F, give it an additional second for each degree below 40. So, at 30F give it 20 seconds, etc. Not a big deal. If it fails to start, you need more glow.

Some engines start easier than others. Older ones with less compression start harder. Around 30F a block heater is nice. Around 10-20F it can be mandatory. But, not always. My kubota will start at -30F with just the glow plugs. My Ford, won't start with out the block heater at +30F.

jb

/ Cold Weather Starting #3  
All engines are different. After a while you will notice when you will want to use the glow plugs and when you want to use a block heater. When you notice that the engine starts harder at a certain temperature you will want to use the glow plugs, when its colder keep them on longer.
On my tractor all I have to do is turn the key on one notch and the glow plugs start when the light goes out I turn it on. I usually use them all the time even when it is hot out. The hotter it is the glow plugs usually stay on for no more than a second or two. When it is colder they take a little longer to heat up. Almost automatic. When it is real cold I might cycle it twice just to get the extra warmth, seems to work a little better.
Like I said you will get use to when you want to use them and not.

As for the block heater I usually dont use one until it gets below freezing. My new tractor doesnt even have one but I would still like to add one.

As for the fuel gelling I always treat my fuel no matter what temperature it is. Just gives me extra insurance for myself.

/ Cold Weather Starting #4  
My cnh will not start in any weather without glow plug use. ( It may start without them on a hot day but I would have to crank it for a while)

/ Cold Weather Starting #5  
Good questions. Yep, in Texas y'all call it cold when we are still running around in t shirts. Cold is when your beer freezes.... as you swallow it.

But seriously, Around 40-50F, you will probably want to give 5-10 seconds of glow plug. Untreated #2 will reach a cloud point around 45F. It can clog a filter shortly thereafter. Most places will treat, but the chemical costs $$$ so they treat to the expected low. They don't always guess the weather right. So, I always treat. I also add 1 oz of 2 cycle oil to 1 gal of fuel to improve lubricity. It's supposed to help the pump and injectors as the new diesel is much "drier" than the old. It does no known harm.

If you give 10 seconds of glow plug at 40F, give it an additional second for each degree below 40. So, at 30F give it 20 seconds, etc. Not a big deal. If it fails to start, you need more glow.

Some engines start easier than others. Older ones with less compression start harder. Around 30F a block heater is nice. Around 10-20F it can be mandatory. But, not always. My kubota will start at -30F with just the glow plugs. My Ford, won't start with out the block heater at +30F.

jb

I just have to ask john bud a question that I've thought about for a couple of years.
I've watch Packers games on tv for years and theres always a group in the stands with no shirts on, now some of them look like they have some self insulation but still when it's snowing it can't help much.
Question is, does your state have some kind of special anti freeze these people drink or are they people that have moved in from Calif?:D

/ Cold Weather Starting #6  
I just have to ask john bud a question that I've thought about for a couple of years.
I've watch Packers games on tv for years and theres always a group in the stands with no shirts on, now some of them look like they have some self insulation but still when it's snowing it can't help much.
Question is, does your state have some kind of special anti freeze these people drink or are they people that have moved in from Calif?:D

Well, at the Packer games you will see some people that may have been tailgating for a while :rolleyes:. They seem to use a form of chemical insulation based on C2H5OH.

Then again, just watching 'Da Packers is enough to warm a person up.

/ Cold Weather Starting #7  
We've a 4010, 2004 model, and a 240D, 1983 model, both diesels with glow plugs that seem to be about the same speed: 1 to 2 seconds needed in warm weather and 3 to 6 seconds needed in cold weather for instant starts (e.g. about 1/2 turn of the crankshaft ones) . The 240D has a glow plug indicator that turns off when we can turn the key further to "start". On the JD, I have to leave the range indicator in "L" or "H" while turning the key to "start". Then I count the afore-noted times before putting the range indicator in "N" to start.

Both these diesels require 1/3 to 1/2 throttle opening on really cold days (this morning at 28 F was one) to keep the engine from stumbling and possibly dying.

The 240D has an engine heater that my wife puts on for about 30 minutes before starting it on really cold days (colder than this morning). I haven't seen the need for an engine heater on the JD here in Virginia. In Vermont, you need one in the winter time.

ONLY time I've ever had diesel fuel to gel was when starting our old 220D at -22F outside our chalet in Vermont. Started instantly with engine heater (after glowing more than a minute with those old style glow plugs). Stalled a couple miles down the road. Let sit a minute or so. Restarted. Drove another 2-3 miles. Stalled. Let sit a minute or so. Restarted and was fine. (Fuel filter is right up against the engine block on 220D and 240D models.)

I don't use a diesel fuel treatment, generally. Sometimes, I get a wild hair up my tail and will put some of that PS stuff in or maybe a bit of kero. 'Tis rare. Except for the 2 treatments of the 240D's tank at around 22k (after sitting on showroom floor) and around 140k (after sitting 4 1/2 years) with Chevron Techron to correct constant speed pinging, think I put a couple doses of the PS stuff in over its 25 years. So, it has mostly gone 25 years and 220k miles without diesel fuel treatment.

Ralph

/ Cold Weather Starting #9  
For sure block heater below freezing (and make sure it is 500-600 watts) plus glow plugs as necessary.
Mine burned out last Jan and the only replacement found at that time was about 300 watts and I had a heck of a time starting at -20 celcius.
With the higher wattage I only needed about 45 mins of hest + plugs in the real colds.

/ Cold Weather Starting #10  
hondo964:

Welcome to TBN :D! Good suggestions so far. I firmly believe in additive for the ULSD fuel that is now sold. I use Power Service (White Bottle), but there are several other brands out in the marketplace as well. You could add C2H5OH to yourself after operations in cold weather ;). Jay :)