Ags vs. industiral vs. turf

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #21  
No type tire is responsible for more dissapointment with CUT owners than the R4. This is because they are not the best tire for any job that CUT's are commonly used for. Very bad choice for logging in spite of better puncture resistance because of near complete inability to provide traction in mud or snow. Also a bad choice for lawn-mowing because of turf damage only slightly less than ags would cause. Why 90% of CUT's are sold with them I will never know, must be the looks. As for real ag work, it sure is dissapointing when your nieghbor can pull a bigger disk or plow at higher speed with an old R1-equipped 2wd with less hp and of the same weight as your new good-looking 4wd with R4's. The 4wd could pull about 25% more than that 2wd if it had R1's but the R4's take that away, and then some.

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #22  
No type tire is responsible for more dissapointment with CUT owners than the R4. This is because they are not the best tire for any job that CUT's are commonly used for. Very bad choice for logging in spite of better puncture resistance because of near complete inability to provide traction in mud or snow. Also a bad choice for lawn-mowing because of turf damage only slightly less than ags would cause. Why 90% of CUT's are sold with them I will never know, must be the looks. As for real ag work, it sure is dissapointing when your nieghbor can pull a bigger disk or plow at higher speed with an old R1-equipped 2wd with less hp and of the same weight as your new good-looking 4wd with R4's. The 4wd could pull about 25% more than that 2wd if it had R1's but the R4's take that away, and then some.

Not too keen on R-4's, huh? :D

Your neighbors tractor would do better through snow and cause less damage to yards that were soft.

Seriously, R-4's do have an excellent ability to work on hard surfaces and carry heavy front end loads without blowing off the rim or puncturing driving over sharp objects on jobsites. R-4's would work better on a backhoe working across harder surfaces than R-1's.

If R-1's were the end-all they would be used on skid-steers, CUTs & TLB's, but they're not. It has nothing to do with looks.

In my years of tractor ownership, I have found R-1's are much more damaging to lawns than R-'4s. That's the nature of off-road traction. The more spaced the bars and the taller the bars, the better the traction, but the more damaging since they engage the ground deeper.

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #23  
Quoting Below...
No type tire is responsible for more dissapointment with CUT owners than the R4. This is because they are not the best tire for any job that CUT's are commonly used for. Very bad choice for logging in spite of better puncture resistance because of near complete inability to provide traction in mud or snow. Also a bad choice for lawn-mowing because of turf damage only slightly less than ags would cause. Why 90% of CUT's are sold with them I will never know, must be the looks. As for real ag work, it sure is dissapointing when your nieghbor can pull a bigger disk or plow at higher speed with an old R1-equipped 2wd with less hp and of the same weight as your new good-looking 4wd with R4's. The 4wd could pull about 25% more than that 2wd if it had R1's but the R4's take that away, and then some.[/QUOTE]

I don't plow or disk, but this seems to be all opinion and doubtful figures. My old cub used to rip up my yard moving half the weight and weighing half as much as my new 4wd w/R4's. And it was doing half the work.
I like the R-4's. Comparing 2wd to 4 with any tire is pointless.
Jake

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #24  
I completely agree that R4's are the best tire for industrial applications. In fact, the only ones I ever had were on a Case 580C backhoe, and they peformed well in that application. A backhoe has the ability to pull itself out of the mud with the hoe or bucket so lack of traction there is not such a big issue. That does not change the fact that most CUT tasks could be done better with Ags or turfs. R4's are a compromise tire on a CUT and compromise always causes some dissapointment.

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #25  
I completely agree that R4's are the best tire for industrial applications.

Hmmm, is there a trend here? Maybe....

R1's (also called Agricultural tires) are best for pulling a plow, disc, and other field work in agricultural applications.
R3's (also called Turf Tires) are best for golf courses, mowing and other lawn applications.
R4's (also called Industrial tires) are best for industrial applications.

Hmmmm, it's almost like they are trying to tell us something about the tires with the names.... I just don't seem to be able to see it....:rolleyes:

jb

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #26  
Hmmm, is there a trend here? Maybe....

R1's (also called Agricultural tires) are best for pulling a plow, disc, and other field work in agricultural applications.
R3's (also called Turf Tires) are best for golf courses, mowing and other lawn applications.
R4's (also called Industrial tires) are best for industrial applications.

Hmmmm, it's almost like they are trying to tell us something about the tires with the names.... I just don't seem to be able to see it....:rolleyes:

jb

Look at the OP name. BX24?? Factor weight of given tractor. I poked a hole in my neighbors Ford 4630 on some stobs...go over the same stobs on my L and it just rolls over them.

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #27  
where is the R2? Its better than the B16 & M37 lol. I've got a set of orig ag tires on my 65 & yes I need new ones, but in the last 10 years of mowing over grown fields & discing etc not one flat. My tires look like a ninja warrior took out his anger on them with a ginsu knife & a hatchet. Possibly even a 4" grinder lol. There loaded & still hold air. I do need new ones though. Point is I think its a worthless discussion. Most people should know what they need to do & buy tires accordingly. But for most cut owners I'll bet either 1's or 4's wouldnt make a bit of diff other than yard damage. My next cut or utility tractor is getting ags on it cause thats what I need. Personally I dont care about my yard that much. I mean how often you gonna drive on your front or back yard. Its not like everyday you'll be doing laps:D Although diehard nascar folks may LOL.

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #28  
R2 is a specialty tread. Often Grey market will have R2 Rice Paddy tires. They are like R1, but the treads are 2x as tall and with harder rubber. Not good for cultivation on solid soils as they sit up too high.

While you are correct that "most people" know what they want. It's really the 1st time buyer that has never had a tractor before that is asking these questions. You should think about them and try to gear your answer so they can share your wisdom.

jb

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #29  
R2 is a specialty tread. Often Grey market will have R2 Rice Paddy tires. They are like R1, but the treads are 2x as tall and with harder rubber. Not good for cultivation on solid soils as they sit up too high.

While you are correct that "most people" know what they want. It's really the 1st time buyer that has never had a tractor before that is asking these questions. You should think about them and try to gear your answer so they can share your wisdom.

jb

Sage advice there. Sometimes you will see a poor guy "attacked" here instead of given some guidance. None of these 3 kinds of tires are a bad choice when they're used in their optimal enviroment. And different owners of tractors work in different enviroments.

I have to do a lot of work on customers' lawns & across driveways, so 4's are perfect for my needs. A farmer would think 1's are a better fit, etc.

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #30  
I wasnt trying to be rude. I'm just sick of seeing what tires to get? I dont want something to tear up the yard to bad bla bla bla. Were all adults I think anyways & I know that its in the search that they forgot to use. I think most that ask said question just want a confirmation that the tires they want are the best one for them and god forbid ---------their grass. When you bought your hoe builder I'll bet you didnt wonder if you should get ag tires put on it. I'll also bet that you didnt go on a forum & ask if the R4's are gonna be ok. Its kinda like common sense. I guess some people have it & some dont. By the way I'm not mad:D, I'm just discusing this with gusto:p I really dont care that anyone asks I was just talking out loud so I hope noone takes offense cause I'm a lover not a fighter:eek: