Ags vs. industiral vs. turf

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #1  

bx24d

Silver Member
everything else being equal, do Ags have a higher pucture rate with field work?

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #3  
So will turfs. Industrials are the toughest.

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #4  
everything else being equal, do Ags have a higher pucture rate with field work?
Whats "equal"? Usually field work is non threatening as far as punctures,and you can take the traction benefit of Ags without any real world increased puncture risk. When you do get into ruffer work, like in the woods, the Ags will be a trade off between great traction and ground compliance, and really paying attention to small tree stobs that may punch thru them. The industrials are likely to take you harmlessly thru such hazard. Turfs are not as tuf, but they shine in optimum surface conditions and dont mark.
larry

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #5  
Actually, isn't that a trick question? I know most tractors come from the dealer with low (4?) ply ag tires and the R4's are mid ply (8?) tires. So, yes, a dealer delivered tractor with 4 ply ag's will puncture easier than an 8 ply R4. But, you can get higher ply rated ag tires that will be tougher.

The rest are still correct - 10 ply ag is easier to hole than a 10 ply R4.

But, Some of the more aggressive turf tires have MORE tread thickness than comparable R4 tires. See Titan's IT530 RADIAL. There are others that are similar from Firestone and that french place.

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #6  
With tractors there's no one-tire-fits-all catagory. Each type of tire has it's place.

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #7  
Right, and as John Bud says, the available options make many generalizations open to correction.

But John, why would a 10 ply ag be more likely to puncture than a 10 ply R4? Is it just the aggressive tread? Does it apply to sidewall as well?

Edit: Firestone makes a severe service 12 ply ag tire. I suspect its possible that an ag tire like this might be more puncture resistant than a dealer spec R4. Of course, they probably cost twice as much as a regular R1.

Second edit: They actually make an 18 ply ag tire in their basic 23 degree bias. I'd guess they'd be pretty puncture resistant.

Last edited:
   / Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #8  

But John, why would a 10 ply ag be more likely to puncture than a 10 ply R4? Is it just the aggressive tread? Does it apply to sidewall as well?

The answer is simple. The raised tread on an ag tire covers much less of the body of the tire than an R4. So, that 1-2" thick rubber armor is covering more of the "soft" puncture prone areas, making it more resistant. And the R4 tread is more square shouldered and that protects the sidewall as well.

As you pointed out, you can buy some very tough R1 tires. Were it possible to go back in time, I would buy higher ply R1's and not the R4's. For me, the R4's are good 75% of the time. They are poor in snow, especially on side slopes where the allow the tractor to slide down the hill. Wheee! And they cake with mud and turn into gumbo slicks. Chains help, but with chains they are still not as good as R1's.

jb

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #9  
Right, and as John Bud says, the available options make many generalizations open to correction.

Edit: Firestone makes a severe service 12 ply ag tire. I suspect its possible that an ag tire like this might be more puncture resistant than a dealer spec R4. Of course, they probably cost twice as much as a regular R1.

Second edit: They actually make an 18 ply ag tire in their basic 23 degree bias. I'd guess they'd be pretty puncture resistant.
Wow! didnt know they made such thick carcass AGs. I imagine the stiffness causes a small detriment to traction, esp over obstacles. Ply for ply puncture resistance seems like it would be pretty close - the slight advantage to the more rubber encased Industrial. Theres also a possible variable in the hardness of rubber used. Anyone know if different rubbers are used?
larry

/ Ags vs. industiral vs. turf #10  
The rubber in my basic 23 degree Firestone rears seems very soft to me. Not sure why. Seems like harder would be better, but hard compounds with tall treads might break off chunks. Mine tend to get tears in them, but I've not seen any big chunks come off yet. The Goodyear fronts seem very soft and have worn much more than the rears. I'm assuming this is due to the slightly overdriven front axle as wells as a lot of loader work.

It looks like I will need to replace fronts much sooner than rears. When I do I am going to look for something for severe duty, hopefully with more plys, stiffer sidewalls (which should be better for loader work) and possibly harder compound.

I do not see a lot of reference to the hardness/softness of compounds on the tire sites.