Oil & Fuel Ran out of gas

/ Ran out of gas #1  

dq314

I have a New Holland TC 40D tractor and it recently ran out of gas. We got more gas and put it in but now it wont start. We were informed that we needed to bleed the fuel lines as there may be air inside. We have instructions to do this but cannot find the manual to figure out which part is which. Does anyone know where we can get a diagram of the parts or layout for this model tractor?

THanks!

/ Ran out of gas #2  
I have a New Holland TC 40D tractor and it recently ran out of gas. We got more gas and put it in but now it wont start. We were informed that we needed to bleed the fuel lines as there may be air inside. We have instructions to do this but cannot find the manual to figure out which part is which. Does anyone know where we can get a diagram of the parts or layout for this model tractor?

THanks!

You do mean you filled it with Diesel

/ Ran out of gas #3  

THanks!
You put gas in a diesel-/-no wonder it won't start.

/ Ran out of gas #4  
You need to look in the owners manual to see how to bleed the air out of the DIESEL. A Q on the Ford page should get an answer if you don't have a manual.

Everyone is pretty **** about not calling fuel "gas" as it's a real PITA to drain the tank and get rid of the contaminated fuel when gasoline is added by mistake.

/ Ran out of gas #5  
Bleeding air is a 3-step process.

1. Turn off the fuel petcock at the filter. Loosen the filter bowl ring (nut). Open the petcock and leave it open until only fuel comes out of the top of the filter. Tighten the filter bowl ring and make sure there are no leaks. Make sure the petcock remains open.

2. The bleed screw for the injector pump is at the top of the pump, above where the lines go to the injectors. It's where the fuel feed line from the filter attaches to the injector pump. There is a screw/bolt on top of the banjo fitting that is the bleed screw. Open that screw until air-free fuel flows.

3. Open the hand throttle all the way up. Turn the engine over to make sure the injector pump is pumping fuel. If the tractor does not start, then you need to open each injector nut a little to bleed them while turning over the engine with the hand throttle wide open.

4. One more thing. . .make sure your fuel cutoff solenoid is open. Turn on your key switch and look to see that the PTO light is not illuminated on the dash. If it is, yoiu may also have a blown fuse #2. This is not a function of running out of fuel, but just a check if the tractor happens to not start after bleeding is attempted.

My guess is your tractor will start probably after step #2. I ran my TC45D out of fuel one time and only had to bleed the filter to get it going. The picture below clearly shows the bleed screw above the injector pump.

Attachments

• Solenoid-install.jpg
    Solenoid-install.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 882
Last edited:
   / Ran out of gas #6  
Bleeding air is a 3-step process.

1. Turn off the fuel petcock at the filter. Loosen the filter bowl ring (nut). Open the petcock and leave it open until only fuel comes out of the top of the filter. Tighten the filter bowl ring and make sure there are no leaks. Make sure the petcock remains open.

2. The bleed screw for the injector pump is at the top of the pump, above where the lines go to the injectors. It's where the fuel feed line from the filter attaches to the injector pump. There is a screw/bolt on top of the banjo fitting that is the bleed screw. Open that screw until air-free fuel flows.

3. Open the hand throttle all the way up. Turn the engine over to make sure the injector pump is pumping fuel. If the tractor does not start, then you need to open each injector nut a little to bleed them while turning over the engine with the hand throttle wide open.

4. One more thing. . .make sure your fuel cutoff solenoid is open. Turn on your key switch and look to see that the PTO light is not illuminated on the dash. If it is, yoiu may also have a blown fuse #2. This is not a function of running out of fuel, but just a check if the tractor happens to not start after bleeding is attempted.

My guess is your tractor will start probably after step #2. I ran my TC45D out of fuel one time and only had to bleed the filter to get it going. The picture below clearly shows the bleed screw above the injector pump.

Finally!

An informed, helpful answer - Rather than just beating up the poor guy for calling his fuel gas...

Nice job Jinman!

/ Ran out of gas #7  
Post this on the Ford or New Holland area to get an answer more quickly.

I'm surprised that it isn't self venting.

The only time I had trouble with a diesel starting was when the rubber lines between the steel one from the tank and the first diesel pump had radial cracks and was sucking air into the system. The only way I got it started was to replace the line. Later on, the ones back at the tank between it and the steel line to the engine area developed those same radial cracks.

My tractor has some of those same lines that will probably need replacement when it gets about 10 years older.

The first thing you need to do is to ensure that you've the fuel filter filled with fuel. Past that, you need an owner's manual or CD for your tractor. I've both for my JD.

Ralph

/ Ran out of gas #8  
Finally!

An informed, helpful answer - Rather than just beating up the poor guy for calling his fuel gas...

Nice job Jinman!

I think you missed a very basic and critical point... Not everybody is 100% familiar with every machine.

Gas and diesel refer to 2 different fuels that are not interchangeable for -most- machines.

I work for a GC.. over the years i have seen diesel put into gas machines and gas put into diesels more times than i care to re-count.

While not helpfull as to the bleeding issue.. the point of no gasin a diesel.. while a basic concept to most.. may not be to all.. and IMHO.. was OK to point out.

soundguy

/ Ran out of gas #9  
I think you missed a very basic and critical point... Not everybody is 100% familiar with every machine.

Gas and diesel refer to 2 different fuels that are not interchangeable for -most- machines.

I work for a GC.. over the years i have seen diesel put into gas machines and gas put into diesels more times than i care to re-count.

While not helpfull as to the bleeding issue.. the point of no gasin a diesel.. while a basic concept to most.. may not be to all.. and IMHO.. was OK to point out.

soundguy

I didn't miss the point. You're right Soundguy, but if we want this guy to post again (it was his first), we should offer help beyond simply pointing out what IMHO was a faux paux in the "fuel / gas vernacular" department.

I enjoy reading posts about "issues" people are having, because the helpful responses may someday help me out. There are those on this forum who offer nothing more than the easy flame-job when someone asks a question (and I know that you're not one of them :)). When that happens - Who does that help?

I figured I'd get my knuckles rapped by someone for my response, because people do use the wrong fuel on occasion (don't understand how, but it happens...).

I stand by my reply though, as it was very informative.

Thanks,

Lunk

/ Ran out of gas #10  
I know you were trying to shield the guy from a flame response.. however.. none of them here were that way.

Since these messages are stored inthe archives.. it's good to sort out the gas / diesel issue.

As i said.. I've seen plenty of 'ooops!' situations converning the wrong fuel.

Some people are just not aware of anything other than 'gas'.

soundguy