Mowing Low HP Flail Mower

/ Low HP Flail Mower #1  

SI2305

Gold Member
Hello there,

Does anyone know of a flail mower that will run on relatively low HP? I am interested in mowing some of my field right down close to the ground and really chopping the grass clippings to pieces. From what I have heard, the flail mower is really the best option, but most seem to be rated for much higher HP than my 2305 w/ 18 pto hp. Maybe I am just a little crazy, but it seems that if my 2305 can run a 48 inch tiller through heavy clay soil, it should be able to effortlessly run a flail mower through grass! Mind you, I am not looking for a huge piece of equipment, 4' would be just fine.

Thanks in advance,

SI2305

/ Low HP Flail Mower #2  
a cicle bar is the best your going to find for that tractor. Your way too small for flail or disc mower because you can't offset the weight of the arm.

/ Low HP Flail Mower #3  
get a bush hog (rotary mower) & put grass blades on it. It will cut dirt then. I have reg blades on my mower & I can cut 2" from the ground.

/ Low HP Flail Mower #4  
get a bush hog (rotary mower) & put grass blades on it. It will cut dirt then. I have reg blades on my mower & I can cut 2" from the ground.

toddol1971 - what do you mean by grass blades? I assume that its the way its sharpened ? A bush hog blade has a rather blunt edge to it so it will last longer in rough cutting conditions. A grass blade might be close to a regular finishing mower cut if it was sharpened to a knifelike edge ? I only can assume what you meant. If this is the casae, why not have two sets of bush hog blades, one sharpened to hog edge and other for finer mowing condition ?

This brings up another question - Is there anyone actually do what I am thinking with 2 sets of blades ? Is there really a noticeable difference between the two types of blades on the same bush hog ?

/ Low HP Flail Mower #5  
Your 18 hp will run a 5 foot flail fine, you will not be able to go as fast in heavy grass as someone with 48 hp but all you will need to do is slow down a flail is a great cutting processing machine.
With a 4 ft you will be able to fly in almost all grass/brush. KennyV.

/ Low HP Flail Mower #6  
They make or did about 8 yrs ago make grass blades that are different from the regular blades. They were lower to the ground & yes there sharp. Maybe they dont make them anymore?