Silver Member

Default Low HP Flail Mower

Hello there,

Does anyone know of a flail mower that will run on relatively low HP? I am interested in mowing some of my field right down close to the ground and really chopping the grass clippings to pieces. From what I have heard, the flail mower is really the best option, but most seem to be rated for much higher HP than my 2305 w/ 18 pto hp. Maybe I am just a little crazy, but it seems that if my 2305 can run a 48 inch tiller through heavy clay soil, it should be able to effortlessly run a flail mower through grass! Mind you, I am not looking for a huge piece of equipment, 4' would be just fine.

Thanks in advance,

SI2305

Elite Member
    Parts Supplier

Default Re: Low HP Flail Mower

a cicle bar is the best your going to find for that tractor. Your way too small for flail or disc mower because you can't offset the weight of the arm.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Massey ferguson Model 65 gas

get a bush hog (rotary mower) & put grass blades on it. It will cut dirt then. I have reg blades on my mower & I can cut 2" from the ground.
    THINK BEFORE TALKING

KEEP LOOKING UP, FOR JESUS MAY COME TODAY

MASSEY FERGUSON 65 GAS (unbelievably reliable tractor)

PAST TRACTORS (RIP)
    FORD 3000 (great tractor)
    FARMALL 350 W/ T/A
    MASSEY FERGUSON 1433 W/ a woods 1012 FEL.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by toddol1971 View Post
    get a bush hog (rotary mower) & put grass blades on it. It will cut dirt then. I have reg blades on my mower & I can cut 2" from the ground.
    toddol1971 - what do you mean by grass blades? I assume that its the way its sharpened ? A bush hog blade has a rather blunt edge to it so it will last longer in rough cutting conditions. A grass blade might be close to a regular finishing mower cut if it was sharpened to a knifelike edge ? I only can assume what you meant. If this is the casae, why not have two sets of bush hog blades, one sharpened to hog edge and other for finer mowing condition ?

This brings up another question - Is there anyone actually do what I am thinking with 2 sets of blades ? Is there really a noticeable difference between the two types of blades on the same bush hog ?

Veteran Member
    Kansas, Butler county, Just east of DooDah
    Tractor
    Kubota L4200 GSTCA

Your 18 hp will run a 5 foot flail fine, you will not be able to go as fast in heavy grass as someone with 48 hp but all you will need to do is slow down a flail is a great cutting processing machine.
    With a 4 ft you will be able to fly in almost all grass/brush. KennyV.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Massey ferguson Model 65 gas

They make or did about 8 yrs ago make grass blades that are different from the regular blades. They were lower to the ground & yes there sharp. Maybe they dont make them anymore?
    THINK BEFORE TALKING

KEEP LOOKING UP, FOR JESUS MAY COME TODAY

MASSEY FERGUSON 65 GAS (unbelievably reliable tractor)

PAST TRACTORS (RIP)
    FORD 3000 (great tractor)
    FARMALL 350 W/ T/A
    MASSEY FERGUSON 1433 W/ a woods 1012 FEL.

Tractor
    Kubota B3030

Here ya go
    eBay Store - Betst Companies: Flail Mower, Backhoe, Wood Chipper
    Bought a 5', for the few times a year I use it, you cant beat the price
    Kubota B3030, Yanmar B6, W.R. Long RR Grapple, Virnig Skeleton Bucket, Woods BB, Woods Rake, Lizotte Thumb, KK Dump Cart, Markham Tooth Bar, Valby 140 Wood Chipper, Bad River Hitch